Multi-generation challenge!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to a wedding in Cambridge this summer. The group is made up of 10 people ranging in age from babies to great-grandparents. We are all (except the babies!) experienced travellers and have been to England a few times before. I'm trying to think of some place(s) for the group to go after the wedding that would not be too difficult logistically but would be enjoyable/interesting. Any ideas? We enjoy the usual traveller things - museums, art, interesting towns, castles, etc. and are open to going to another country if it's not too difficult.
Thanks for any brainstorms!
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

I should add that we would have 10 days to 2 weeks to travel after the wedding.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Driving several cars, or using public transport? Have you thought of renting a large country house for a week (or two houses for two different weeks)? Any areas of England you haven't visited? Scotland? Paris couldn't be easier.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 06:25 PM

We once rented a small château outside Beauvais in France, which isn't hard to reach from London, for 3 generations of family and had a blast. We had 3 separate car rentals, which was sort of essential (there were 3 different groups of family members, and we each did what we wanted during the day and met up at night for communal meals).
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 07:10 AM

Like StCirq, I have travelled with large groups and it really is key to let folks go their own way, meeting up in the evening to share the day's events. Leave the mass excursions to the tour companies.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ely, Bury St Edmunds, both pretty and not hard logistically
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I think your suggestions of a chateau or house for a week is the way to go. We will likely only have one or two people who are comfortable driving in England so public transport or an easy flight might be necessary.
I will investigate the places named above. Anyone else have an idea for a place to stay for a week with enough to see and do? None of us have been to Ireland so that might be an idea.
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 08:49 AM

Don't worry too much about driving in the UK, it's really not that hard, especially if you are in the country. With babies and elderly people in the same group, it will be so much easier to have cars.
You adjust to driving on the left side of the road very quickly.