Mt Vesuvius and Ruins Schedule

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight is scheduled to arrive in Rome at 7:15 AM, Sun April 22. Due to holiday conflicts with my original plan, I am looking at the possibility of heading straight to Naples the morning we arrive to see Pompei and Mt Vesuvius and then taking the overnight train to Venice that leaves Naples at 19:57.

Ignoring whether anyone with any sense would want to attempt this, do we have time to get through customs (carry-on only), get to the Rome Termini station, train to Naples, see some ruins AND go to the top of Mt Vesuvius (assuming the weather is decent) and make it back to the Naples train station in time to catch the 19:57 train to Venice?

Herculaneum is closer to Naples, and smaller, so if the flight is late and/or we get held up with customs, trains, etc, we would definitely plan to go to Herculaneum instead of Pompeii.

Also, IF travel goes smoothly and we make it to Naples fairly early, would going to Herculaneum, instead of Pompeii, give us time to see the Archaelogical Museum in Naples before we catch the 19:57 train to Venice? I'm not sure that's our thing but since it's supposed to be so good, and since it has a lot of the actual stuff excavated from Pompeii, it would be nice to try to fit it in. Maybe a better question would be, when would we have to leave the museum in order to safely make it to the Naples train station for the 19:57 train?

I'm not worried about meals. We can pick up something quick or we'll have granola bars or something.

FYI, for those of you worried about my frenetic plans, after surviving the first 2 days, things would slow down- relative to our style at least. We'd spend 2 nights in Venice, 2 nights in Florence, 3 nights in Tuscany (with rental car), 2 nights in CT and the last 3 nights in Rome. This puts us traveling from Venice to Florence on 4/25 and in CT on 5/1 so hopefully less impact by the holidays.

Marcia
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your flight might be scheduled to arrive at 7:15, but that doesn't mean it will. You then have to go through customs, buy train tickets, walk to the train. The train to Rome runs every half hour so you might get lucky and find one about to leave or you might have to wait 30 minutes until the next one.

The train trip into Rome takes 30 minutes and then you will have to buy tickets to Naples (unless you bought them at the airport), locate your train and perhaps wait until it departs (another 30 minutes?).

The train from Rome to Naples will take anywhere from 90 minutes to 2 1/2 hours depending on which train you book. The faster trains don't run as often so one might not be available for the time you need to travel.

In Naples, you will have to buy tickets for the train to Pompeii/Herculaneum which only runs every 30 minutes and then it takes another 30 minutes travel time. Pompeii and Herculaneum are close together so the travel time difference really doesn't matter.

At Pompeii, you will have to buy tickets, arrange to store your luggage(not sure Herulaneum has luggage storage), etc.

To travel up Vesuvius, I believe you must take a bus and I'm sure it's on a schedule too.

Can't help but wonder why your are flying into Rome if your first night is to be in Venice.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

ky: thanks. That gives me a little better idea of the timing involved. And yes, there is a bus to Mt. Vesuvius too.
I know the logistics are a nightmare but my husband really wants to go there if we can swing it. We definitely won't be able to see it if we don't even try. If we do this, I'd book reservations on the night train from Naples to Venice so we'd have to get to Naples but I assume we'd just have to go with the flow for getting to Naples. Too many variables to buy tickets in advance. Once we get to Naples, we'd have to see what we have time for. Any idea how far the Archaelogical Museum is from the train station?

As to why we'd fly into Rome and go to Venice, I got our flight using FF miles so we can't fly open jaw. As late as it is, I'm just thankful to have gotten a flight at all. Getting it for only 40K miles was icing on the cake!

A good thing about AA FF awards is that they let you hold a reservation for 2 weeks. We originally wanted to travel the last 2 weeks of May. I couldn't get anything but midweek travel to Rome but I found something to Paris in April, so I held it, and kept checking. I found better flights to Paris but had all but given up on Rome when I decided to try one last time and got lucky.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Hi Marcia - The Vesuvius bus runs approximately hourly. However, it takes about an hour each way if I remember - so the timing might be tight, depending on what time you get down there.

It might be better to see the museum instead ...

Steve

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:18 AM

You could store your luggage at Naples train station - check opening times for the left luggage office.
From there, a train to Pompeii doesn't take long. You could spend a couple of hours walking round the ruins and then head on to Vesuvius. Going to the museum as well for a quick visit may be possible.
This wouldn't suit me, but I'm not you! Obviously, it will help if you can sleep on the plane. I would be exhausted beyond belief but logistically I think it is possible to do what you would like.

Carolena
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Carolena,
I'm hoping that the adrenalin rush from our arrival in Iatly will get us through that first day AND that the exhaustion will help us sleep on the train to Venice. Luckily, this train goes straight through to Venice without changing trains. At least it doesn't show a train change in the schedule details. It's kind of strange though because it leaves at 19:57 and gets into Venice at 5:34 (?) which is quite a bit longer travel time than the others. It's listed as an ICN train so I'm assuming that's just because it makes more stops along the way.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM

On paper it sounds plausible, however, when thinking it out and factoring in all the time for train transfers, etc it doesn't appear to work very well. IMO, I would not try to cram all that activity into one day. You have to allow at least 45-50 mins to get in from Rome's FCO airport into Roma Termini station, then another 2 hour train down south to Naples. Then connect with the Circumvesuviana train (40 min ride) and exit at the Pompeii Scavi stop. You can figure arriving there around 12 noon(ish). Rushing through Pompeii (forget trying to go to Mt. Vesuvius, that is a separate tour altogether) will give you only 5 hours there max, then zip back into Naples via the Circumvesuviana and then catch your train by 19:57. It would be a harrowing day and I don't know about luggage compartments at Pompeii. You could ask the ticket office to keep your luggage for you, but they may not be too keen on doing that. So if you are up for adventure and are willing to take a chance with train delays, possible strikes, etc go for it. IMO, if you are already there in Rome, why not spend the day in Rome and see some things you haven't seen yet or wanted to revisit. Then at least you are in the same city when leaving later that evening.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Good luck with this. It could work perfectly. It could be awful. At least you'll have many days following to recover.

FYI, here's your train's schedule:

Napoli Centrale --:-- 19:57
Formia 21:14 21:21
Latina 21:57 21:59
Roma Tiburtina 22:45 22:50
Chiusi-Chianciano Terme 00:05 00:07
Terontola-Cortona 00:24 00:26
Arezzo 00:47 00:49
Firenze Campo Di Marte 01:42 01:47
Bologna Centrale 03:13 03:18
Ferrara 03:46 03:48
Rovigo 04:09 04:11
Monselice 04:24 04:26
Terme Euganee-Abano-Montegrotto 04:35 04:37
Padova 04:50 04:52
Venezia Mestre 05:12 --:--
Venezia S. Lucia 05:24 --:--

It will be interesting to hear if you get any sleep with all that stopping and starting. . .
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:50 PM

The tinyurl's are Fodor's posts with directions.

FIUMICINO AIRPORT (scroll down for updated directions) http://tinyurl.com/mywgk

ROME TO POMPEII http://tinyurl.com/mhnvr
Regards, Walter
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Huitres - There is luggage storage on Pompeii (the ruins, not the train station).

The best thing would be to leave your luggage at the Naples train station. Make sure you check hours and sometimes there can be a line to retrieve luggage at some storage facilities.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Sounds like an episode of the Amazing Race. Good Luck!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Marcia,

If you MUST do this, hire a private driver to pick you up at Fiumicino and take you everywhere that day. It will be expensive, but worth it.

Is this going to be your only trip to Italy? Why the urgency to cram so much in? Honestly, bluntly, speaking from personal experience, you are going to be too tired to enjoy Pompeii or Venice by the time you get there.

Buona fortuna!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Dayle,
That's an interesting idea but I just did a quick check at some places looks like ~350 EU just for a ride from FCO to Naples. At that price, I'd be thinking so much about how much it was costing me that I wouldn't be able to enjoy the sites.

LOL...thanks for the good wishes. We'll need them I'm sure. After telling my husband how crazy everyone thinks we are for trying, I think he has turned this into a personal challenge! Even if we don't make it to Pompeii or Mt Vesuvius, I'm sure we'll find something memorable to see or do with the day in Naples.

Marcia