Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

MSC ship slams into Dock on Venice's Giudecca Canal!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How terrible! 2500 passenger ship could not stop and slams into smaller tourist boat before stopping at dock which appears to be along the Zattere. Oh, there have been angry posts herein about too many tourists in Venice and this will surely fuel the fire. What are the ships due to dock today and in coming days to do now? Skip Venice? And this follows a Swedish boat slamming into a smaller tourist on the Danube in Budapest where 21 were killed three nights ago.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 05:48 AM

I have taken a cruise once in my life and vowed never to do it again (it was a Carribean cruise). I do not know why people are attracted to this mode of travel as it is impossible to truly visit any city of importance and learn and feel its culture in only a few hours.

I also do not believe that large cruise ships should be allowed into smaller harbours to dock, with dangerous accidents an ever going threat. Cruising and the hordes of people that travel on them are making travel to many places unbearable for the rest of us.

Last edited by AirBalloon; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am in Venice now. I have been exercising in the mornings out near the Giardini and have seen a few of these MSC monstrosities been coming in since Friday. They are ugly, gigantic, incongruous--and scary-looking. So thankful that no one was killed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:42 PM

My experience mirrors Air Balloon's. I think cruises are scourges to the environment, the places they visit, and the minds of the cruisers. There are no benefits to the environment, the places of call, or the brains of the people on board.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Massive cruise ships with thousands of passengers - definitely not something I want to try. However, a Hurtigruten cruise up the Norwegian coast on a smaller ship that was also a lifeline for the coastal communities - that was great. Shorter cruise on a basic boat also a lifeline along the Chilean coast - ditto. I'd consider the ferry system in Alaska, or an Antarctic cruise as well. Plus, as I get more decrepit, it may come down to a river cruise or nothing.

Yes, I hate the behemoths, but not all cruises are alike, and not all people are alike either. That said, I have always thought those big ships should be banned from Venice. Very glad that more people weren't hurt.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 04:59 AM

The accident at Venice took place at the cruise terminal of San Basilio, handier for the visit of the city than the big terminals at Stazione Marittima (Terminals 103, 107, 108, 117).
All these terminals should have been closed long again (for ecological reasons) in favour of Porto Marghera.
At Budapest, the small boat was harmed by a big boat of Viking River Cruises, very popular with tourists from America and Asia.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 05:18 AM

Venice officials could ban the ships tomorrow (and there are limits coming in a couple of years). But even today, these same officials are still talking about the fear of economic losses. This makes zero sense in a place already swamped with so many tourists they keep threatening tollbooths (and possibly limiting numbers) for pedestrians. The cruise ship passengers, for the most part, don’t support the local lodging industry, they dine on the ship, and even buy some of their Venetian souvenirs on board. I would think they are the least desirable tourist to the local economy. And, places like Cinque Terre, many miles from the nearest cruise port, continues to be swamped with cruise groups. If the ships had to port further away, the buses (and this will not be very desirable either) will certainly continue to come. Cruise passengers, no matter the inconvenience, will not forego seeing this remarkable place.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 05:29 AM

The photos of the ship shown with the backdrop of Venice beside it are incredible. How could anyone think a ship that size belongs in that canal?

I have no problem with river cruises. I've taken several and they have all been enjoyable, but those monsters on inland waterways? Just NO!

I'm worried that this trend is beginning to ruin Bordeaux. Last time we were there there was a ship so large it practically blotted out the landscape if you were walking by the river.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 09:15 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, StCirq