Cruise ships in Venice

Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Cruise ships in Venice

It must be a wonderful sight to see a cruise ship gliding along the grand canal. Having "googled" cruises I have discovered that a ship will arrive on May 19 and depart next day. Is there any way of finding out arrival and departure times so that we might catch a glimpse?
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:30 AM

I hope you won't be too disappointed to learn that cruise ships do not go into the Grand Canal. The Grand Canal is too shallow, too narrow, and above all has too many obstructions (low bridges under which even the relatively tiny vaporettos have trouble clearing sometimes.)

As to where cruise ships do dock, you might try the cruise forum.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:37 AM

HI
You may be able to see one out in the lagoon. As an environmental note, I understand that large cruise ships in the lagoon are contibuting mightily to the pollution of the lagoon as well as to the changing of tide patterns, and have been accelerating Venice's sinking and lower-level deterioration. A plan is in the works to have sluice gates to regulate water flow; that should help with the periodic flooding as well.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:50 AM

Sue xx yy is right. No Cruise ship on the Grand Canal. You will see one or two, however, on the the lagoon and on Giudecca Canal. Go to Dosoduro (the area where the Accademia is situated)for Giudecca Canal. Once in while I walked on the promenade on Zattre, I saw at least one ship. Also take a vaporetto 82 from the railway station into the direction of Giudecca Canal. Usually you can see a couple of ships anchored at a dock.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:41 AM

Seeing a cruise ship on the Giudecca canal remains a highlight of our trip to Venice. We stayed at La Calcina in a front room overlooking the canal. I arose early one foggy morning and sensed something going on outside. There was a huge ship gliding by just a few feet from the window. I could have almost shaken hands with the passengers on deck! So get over to the Giudecca early in the morning, as I think that's when you have the best chance of seeing a ship "up close and personal."
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:32 AM

Have to repeat what Betsy says. On each of my stays at La Calcina I usually saw cruise ships on the Giudecca canal early in the morning while eating breakfast (windows overlooked this canal). It was a pretty regular sight - but I haven't any idea what kind of schedule exists except for early mornings.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:25 AM

Not to be a wet blanket, but I'm sure the cruise ships are magnificent gliding by. But I stay away from Venice in the cruise season. One cruise ship dumps 2,000 people on Venice. I'd rather be there with 2,000 fewer tourists in such a small area.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM

I second what Ann said. I was in Venice once when three huge ships were docked. The number of people prowling Venice was pretty depressing.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM

When is "cruise season"?
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:25 PM

We were there the last week in October.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:57 AM

I'm yet another who saw a cruiseship passing by from my window of La Calcina. It appeared HUGE! Funny I never thought this was a desirable or pleasant thing, just an extremely unusual site to wake up to! My travel partner and I cracked up. BTW this was August.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:06 AM

Saw the same from the window of our room at La Calcina. It was in early December 2002, at about 6 am. We watched a huge red ship pass while still in bed.