panama canal cruise interesting?

Nov 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

panama canal cruise interesting?

i've been getting mixed reports on a cruise to the panama canal. are the ports interesting? we're looking into royal carib.for 10 dys., oceania for 14 dys., holland america for 10 dys., and princess for 10 dys. (from florida). we love to explore, don't like going to a beach. any thoughts?
Nov 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Took Panama Canal cruise last month.Frankly, the canal maybe an engineering wonder but going through it is about as exciting as watching paint dry.The ports aren't the most exciting but a little more interesting than the islands in the Caribbean.
Nov 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM

We found it fascinating and beautiful to cruise through the Panama Canal.

Oceania is, by far, our favorite cruise line.

If you list the ports, we can better comment on them.
Nov 14th, 2006, 07:50 AM

My sister just got back from Coral Princess and she loved it. The ship only goes through 1 lock [you can take a excursion on a smaller ship and go all the way through] or do other things while the ship stay at first lock. They did lots of exploring/excursions on their own.
Hope this helps...
Debi
Nov 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Meant to add...they were allowed a 750 ml bottle of wine each while boarding the ship. Bags were xrayed at checkin, she wasn't sure if excess bottles were taken out.
Debi
Nov 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM

My impression was that it CAN be interesting if you listen to the talks as you go through, etc.

However, prepare yourself for the locks to look very industrial and the canal to be a venture through a rain forest area.

I guess I was expecting it to look more like the islands and instead felt much more like I was going through an industrial area (the locks) and then through a canal with rainforests on both sides.

Anyway, if you're prepared for what you will actually see, yes, it can be very enjoyable.

I'd say it's a once-in-a-lifetime must see if you can make it work.
Nov 14th, 2006, 08:27 PM

After 14 cruises Oceania was our top choice. The Panama canal cruise we did on the old Royal Cruise Line Crown Oddessy and with the exception of the Alaska cruise was one of the most interesting crusie we have ever done.

However, my suggestion would be to do a partial transit of the cruise rather than a full. We did a full and did find after one lock it was very much like watching paint dry, until you get to the lake in the middle.

If I was to do it again, I would enter from the Carib side do two locks, cruise the lake and exit back on the Carib side.
Nov 20th, 2006, 08:48 AM

We got home last Friday from a full transit Panama Canal cruise, a trip we had long looked forward to and we weren't disappointed. It was absolutely incredible. We sailed from Acapulco and disembarked in San Juan, visiting Huatulco, Mexico; Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala; Puntarenas, Costa Rica; Cristobal, Panama; Orangestad, Aruba.

It's difficult for me to understand why anyone would be bored transiting the canal, but, of course, it is purely a matter of opinion. It just makes me wonder what would be interesting to those who found it so. Now watching golf on TV, that's boring and like watching grass grow!

It would be my suggestion to do some research on the history and building of the canal, so that the miracle of your moving from the Pacific to the Atlantic ocean (or vice versa) through this incredible engineering feat might have more significance.

There were merchant ships making the transit at the same time we were and there was some fun interaction between us and the crews on those ships.

We loved our cruise (I think it was our 12th)and transiting the canal was definitely a highlight of the trip.

Search this Thread