Mozart - Salzburg or Vienna?

Jul 3rd, 2014, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Mozart - Salzburg or Vienna?

I have a huge interest in Mozart and we have a 2-3 days to spend in Austria. Would you recommend Salzburg or Vienna for Mozart-related sights? I would love to see where the genius himself was born, but if it's just walking in and out of a bare room, I'd skip it in favor of something that gives a feel for the actual man and his life.

If possible to do both comfortably, we can, but I know it's generally not advised to try to do too much. We will be heading to Switzerland either before or after our trip (probably after).

Seeing Mozart-related sights and eating good local food are about all we'll have time for in Austria, unfortunately. Would love to return and experience more of the country later.

Thanks.
Jul 3rd, 2014, 08:49 PM

It is possible to make a day a long day trip to Salzburg to see his birth house, so you could realistically see all things Mozart between the two cities. The birth house in Salzburg is not a bare room, and visiting would take less than an hour. Look at https://westbahn.at/en for the schedule.

Though Mozart was born in Salzburg, he spent most of his creative time in Vienna. There is a self-guided "Mozart Walk" offered by Vienna's tourism office: http://www.wien.info/en/music-stage-...c/mozarts-life

Happy Planning!
Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:05 PM

While in Salzburg, be sure to do the Mozart dinner at the St. Peter Stiftskeller.

http://www.stpeter-stiftskeller.at/e...rt-dinner.html
Jul 3rd, 2014, 10:10 PM

I was extremely underwhelmed at the Mozart birth house.
Jul 4th, 2014, 04:38 AM

The birth house in Salzburg is only moderately interesting and often overrun with tourists, more interesting is the Wohnhaus (apartment) on the other side of the river. There is also a Mozart house in Vienna, but I remember it more as a reconstruction.

As a general rule, you will be somewhat closer to the Mozart spirit in Salzburg than in Vienna. Mozart found Salzburg a small town where he could not really develop his talent, and the Salzburg old town has remained much like Mozart saw it. If you can manage to be there on a Sunday for a service with music in the Cathedral you can get a glimpse of what Mozart young years must have been. As soon as he could, he managed to get out of it - it was actually kicked out, even if the Salzburg tourist office will not make this point - and moved to Vienna.

Most of the Vienna Mozart saw is no more there so his presence is much more diluted. The Stephansdom is still there and the Mozart house is quite near. But most of the city has been rebuilt and many memorabilia lost.
Jul 4th, 2014, 05:19 AM

We live within a couple of blocks of two of the many houses Beethoven stayed in while in Vienna, one being for just one summer month, up in the vineyards. I am amazed at the number of tourists who wander way up toward the edge of Vienna to see these buildings (one is a private residence; the other, an overpriced restaurant). For diehard fans of classical composers, though, these must be some sort of pilgrimage.
Jul 4th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Ian

I built our whole 2 week + tour of Hungary in 2007 around a performance of Die Zauberflöte at the Staatsoper in Vienna. We had 3rd row center seats!

Ian
Jul 4th, 2014, 09:26 AM

The Stephansdom is also a reconstruction - as are so many things in Vienna.

I think Salzburg has much more of a feel of Mozart - as long as you can hear some of his music there. My decision would be based on musical opportunities.
Jul 4th, 2014, 02:25 PM

Well, I suspect that the thing Mozart would love in contemporary Salzburg would be the Marionettentheatre.
Jul 4th, 2014, 02:47 PM

Last week we went to the 3 p.m. mini-concert in the Residenz . Lovely little break from the crowds and a terrific chance to get up close and personal with the harpsichord - we were no more than six feet from the keyboard in small salon in the oldest part of the complex.

The soloist was a faculty member in Salzburg and the Julliard. Sorry, not at home so can't give details but I will say this concert was the best sixteen euro bargain going!
Jul 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, very helpful responses indeed! We are going to do Salzburg. I am so looking forward to this.
Jul 9th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

I got a nice surprise - we actually are planning to see both cities! I have some more general questions, now that we have this pinned down a bit:

1) Arrive Vienna around 13:30. Need to get to hotel and plan to sightsee a bit for the next 24 hours. Just want local food and drink, walk around and take in the atmosphere. Keeping in mind I'd like to see the Mozart sights - in order of priority - the St. Mark's Cemetary, St. Stephen's Cathedral, Mozarthaus, the Burggarten statue. I really have no idea how far apart any of these are to each other. If we have time we'd consider Schonbrunn or Vienna Woods. We have no delusions that this is a quick trip and really just a bonus day en route to Salzburg.

2) Leaving for Salzburg following day. I'd like to leave enough time to reach Salzburg, settle in a hotel, and possible attend the St. Peter Stiftskeller concert dinner, so I'm guessing we should leave Vienna no later that 14:00-15:00?

Keeping all this in mind, where in Vienna would be the best area to stay - near the train station to Salzburg (Westbahnhof? I keep reading the area is not so savory), or closer to where the most sights are concentrated? Is it walkable to either depending on where we choose?

Would you recommend any sort of pass for getting from Vienna Airport to said hotel area, which might also encompass seeing a few sights, and then on to Salzburg? (We will each have a small suitcase with us.)

From Salzburg Hbf, we plan to journey on to Switzerland. Again, would you recommend staying close to train station, or closer to the Mozart sights/dinner area? Is the train station in Salzburg fairly close/walkable to the sights anyway?

Thank you in advance, hope these questions make sense.
Jul 9th, 2014, 09:56 PM

itspat, a couple of points to help in planning your time in Vienna.

The Cemetery of St. Marx is about 30-40 minutes from Stephansdom via public transportation, and closes as early as 17:00 during the winter, 18:00 in the warmer months.

Mozarthaus is right behind Stephansdom, and the Burggarten is about a 10 minute walk from there. The Burggarten closes at 16:00 in winter months, 17:00 in summer months. Perhaps see the cemetery on the first afternoon, with the rest the following morning before leaving for Salzburg? You will likely not have time to tour Schönbrunn, but you could certainly take a tram up into the vineyards on the edge of the Vienna Woods for dinner at a heuriger (wine tavern).

There are two public transportation options from the airport to the city center (Wien Mitte). The CAT (City Airport Train); €11 per person, one-way, non-stop in 16 minutes; or, for €4 per-person you can catch the S9 train not only into Wien Mitte, but then transfer onto whatever U-Bahn line you need to get to your hotel. The ride takes about 25 minutes as there are several stops. If you decide the S9 route, you'll need bills smaller than a €10 note for the ticket machine.

Westbahn trains to Salzburg depart from Wien Westbahnhof every hour on the 0:40, and the ride is 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Jul 10th, 2014, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

fourforttavel,

That was wonderful, thanks for the planning tips. I think we will try to stick to your suggested itinerary as much as possible.

Anyone else - would you suggest staying central to most of these sights, or is staying near Westbahnhof either desirable or convenient enough to stay if we have 24 hours?

Is the 24-hour travel pass adequate? To get from airport to hotel to all these sights to train station? Can we easily buy ticket to Salzburg Hbf same day at Westbahnhof?
Jul 10th, 2014, 07:48 AM

itspat, for your short visit I would stay more central than around Westbahnhof; it's only a 15 minute ride on public from the InnerStadt, but the area is not so "Imperial Vienna." With the exception of St. Marx, everything you plan to see is in the InnerStadt.

The 24-hour pass will only work in Vienna's Zone 100; you'll need an additional ticket from the airport to Wien Mitte as the airport is outside Zone 100. I do not know if you can buy the 24-hour pass at the airport (I think you can, but I am not positive); if it's not possible, you can just purchase one from the machines at Wien Mitte. I have to collect visiting friends this weekend at the airport and will look and report back.

The Westbahn ticket to Salzburg can be purchased on the train with cash or credit card on your day of travel. There's no need to book ahead.
Jul 12th, 2014, 08:31 PM

itspat, it is indeed possible to purchase the 24 hour pass at the airport ticket machine. If you decide to take the S9 into Vienna, you will also need the additional ticket for the stretch from the airport to the Vienna boundary; it's listed as "Ticket to Zone 100" or something like that and should only be a couple of Euros per person extra.
Jul 12th, 2014, 09:04 PM

Don't forget to eat some Mozart balls!
Jul 12th, 2014, 09:41 PM

itspat - The Best Western Tigre hotel in Vienna is housed in the building (actually there is new construction that incorporates the building, but the original building is still there as part of the hotel) where boy Mozart and his father Leopold stayed when he first came to Vienna. He later stayed in that building as an adult for awhile. The concert hall where he performed his first Vienna recital as a child prodigy is just around the corner. It is a very nice hotel with an excellent breakfast buffet. We enjoyed our stay there especially because of its Mozart connection.
Jul 21st, 2014, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. This short trip will truly fulfill a dream of mine.

Now, on to figure out the tougher part in Switzerland!

Hmm… I'll have to look up the Mozart balls…
Jul 21st, 2014, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Okay, they look safe…! Yum!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO