Moving back to Barcelona

Search

Moving back to Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving back to Barcelona

Fellow Fodorites, after a morning of consular help and small talk, I have been told that in about 4 weeks I will receive my visa in the mail so that I may, on June 20, return to Barcelona and stay (legally!) for a year with chance to renew. I am so excited, and it occurred to me that some of the wonderful people on this board might some day be wonderful people on the Ramblas asking me directions to some attraction. So, though most new threads are full of questions, mine is simply here to say that you should take advantage of the visible e-mail and give me a shout out if you come. And that I am overjoyed to have gotten the go ahead. And I will miss this board because I will not have internet at home anymore and my boss sits right behind me (ie. can see my computer screen) in the office.

Claire
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM

Congratulations Claire! It sounds so exciting, and I can feel your excitement through the computer screen!

I know you'll be missed by many, including me. I'm assuming the lack of internet is due to your preparations to move back to Barcelona. Please try to get internet at home your new home if you can. If not, invest in one of those 3M privacy filters for your computer so no one can see what you're doing.

http://tinyurl.com/sx2cs
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Lucky you!

And yes, I plan to take you up on your offer when we go next Spring!

Buena suerte!
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much mcnyc! My BCN apartment actually is not internet capable (I lived there last year and tried), but I hear the downstairs neighbors are heading up a committee to get that done. That 3M thing is amazing, though! I had never seen that before.

Artlover- yes!!!!!
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:38 AM

Yes!!!..get the "privacy screen" but tell your boss you got it to cut down glare and protect your eyes (which it also does).

Glad to hear youi like Barcelona as much as some of the rest of us.
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:44 AM

I will be in BCN in July with four others staying in a hostel in Barceloneta ( just three days) so we may indeed be some of the ones asking for directions on the Ramblas. Just take pity on the bald headed bearded man who speaks no Spanish (or Catalun)and wants to find his way.

Baldworth
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Baldworth- I have a set BCN e-mail I send out. If you want it, write me. I have posted it here, but don't remember the thread name.

See you there!
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Hi Claire,
even if you don´t have an internet connection at the apartment, you might be able to tap into the WiFi connection of another neighbour. Telefónica has been doing a very strong marketing campaign to promote the WiFi, and ... the router they send with the DSL connection is quite difficult to close to external computers. Result : a lot of people with open wireless networks.

I got DSL with Telefonica last year, and it was pretty quick, less than two weeks to get the phone and the line up and running, but I opted for a normal connection because my Pc was a bit old. They also have some decent flat rate offers, specially interesting if you use the phone a lot within Spain. One of my friends opted for not getting the DSL because they were tapping into 5 different open wireless networks, and sometimes I think she goes faster than me ...

And if by any chance you come to Madrid, drop me a line at [email protected]

Rgds, Cova
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:48 AM

You lucky dog!

Be sure and report back if you find any new and exciting dives for us to try.

I'll be in Barcelona in October for a hen party.

Good luck!
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Cova- good to know! When I was there WiFi was pretty much in Starbucks and that is all. Hopefully some of the neighbors will be more effective than I was. Then again, though it is convenient, I found that no internet was as helpful to my social life as no TV. . . I was out so much more and had a lot more fun. But what is more fun than a daily dose of Fodor's?
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:39 AM

laclaire, the Today show is live in Barcelona this morning.

Barcelona was not on my list of places to visit but after watching some brief vignettes of Barcelona it's moved up near the top. What a beautiful city.

Do you have a "Top Ten" list of things to see/do for Barcelona that you would care to share?

I have enjoyed reading your contributions in the past and hope your move does not really mean they will end. I hope your physical move is a smooth one for you. Deborah
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Deborah- I woke up extra early to see the report and was really hoping that some of my co-workers would end up on camera as they were right in my office area. But, alas, I had to get to my aerobics class, so I missed the end of the report. It was great to see, though.

Per things to do, I have a ton of suggestions, but there are a few that I am giddy to do. So, here goes:
1) have drinks and go dancing at my favorite bar, La Concha.
2) have coffee at La Granja on Banys Nous.
3) spend an entire day walking, starting on the Ramblas, going all the way up to Diagonal, taking that to the new University campus, going back down through Sants Station, then continuing on Gran Vía, and ending at the Barceloneta beach.
4) ride my bike on the carretera de les aigües.
5) eat lunch at Elisabets (cheap home cooking).
6) get a late night Rajah kebab sandwich
7) visit the apartment at La Pedrera.
8) go to the beach at Castelldefels.
9) kiss everyone hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10) go food shopping at the market and make a huge Sunday meal.

Also, I just got a really informative e-mail from Cova about internet and it is looking more and more possible. So, you have not seen the last of me!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM

Thanks for your favoites list. It will be very easy to build a fabulous first visit to Barcelona from it. I'm glad to you hear you might not be cut off from all internet access. This forum talk would really miss your imput. Thanks again, Deborah
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:44 AM

laclaire! Happy for you!!
Hopefully we will have a reason to email you someday
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Here is the e-mail I send out to everyone. It is my ultimate hotlist and I hope you all can use it!
--------------------------------------

If you want a really exquisite tasting menu, go to Commerç 24 (yes, that is number 24, Commerç St. . . near Estació de França, right down from the Arc de triunf). The chef is an El Bullí protegé and does a
lot of interesting things. Beautiful presentation (I have pictures of each dish we ate) and great atmosphere: quiet and sophisticated.

Things I never let anyone miss: (in no particular order)
the Call (Jewish quarter). It is truly old Barcelona, the streets are so compact and you can feel the history. It is also a great way to work your way from the Ramblas to the cathedral. The cathedral is, well, a cathedral, and this one is beautiful and really does show Catalunya's golden age (hence why Gaudí, a staunch nationalist, referred to it so much in his Sagrada Familia and other works), but it
is sort of like being cattle herded. Not an intimate experience.

The walk from Plaça Catalunya to Diagonal via Passeig de Gràcia. This is the most impressive section of Barcelona. . . you should drag it. You pass by Casa Batlló and Milà (la Pedrera: GO
INSIDE THE APARTMENT), not to mention arriving to Diagonal, which is a huge and bustling corner. If you take Córsega on the right and stop when you see C/ Sta. Tecla is on your left, you will see this really random modernist building on your right that I just love. I don't know anything about it, but it is a curious structure.

Parc Güell: visit the house where Gaudí lived! They have done a lot to it and it is quite a little museum. A very personal experience, I found, and my mother loved it.

Montjuic is wonderful, but is a more springtime delight, as in summer the sun beats down and makes you want to hurt someone.

Going for drinks: Go to the Mirablau at Tibidabo (the mountain to the north). The drinks are excellent (remember that Martini in Spain
means pure vermouth, so specify if you want it our way) and the view of BCN at night is so delicate. Also, the houses on your way up the mountain are absolutely awesome.

------------------------------------------
a hot list to my friends:

Traditional Spanish: el bar de la Ciutadela (also on Commerc street. . . across from the Chocolate museum and opposite the restaurante El Foro). Either the lacon ham or the roasted lamb. My reaction was like that of the boy who ate Turkish Delight in "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe."

Coffee/tea: la Granja (on Banys Nous in the Gothic quarter). Enjoy the ambience. . . the turn of the century wooden entrance, the amazing, huge fridge that they still use, the bar, the waitstaff. . . if you get the Amelie-looking waitress (you will know her when you see her), try your Catalan. she loves that!

Bar: la Concha on Calle de la Guardia in the Raval (walk down Ramblas towards the Sea, take a right on Carrer Nou de la Rambla where the Guell Palace is. . . Guardia is the second street on the left). This is in a bad neighborhood, but the place itself is absolutely wonderful. It has a lot of character (black and white tiled floors, decorated with posters of Sara Montiel and fake flowers, has a small bookcase, you can order Moroccan mint tea before 10 pm, as well as smoke from a hookah) and the drinks are inexpensive. The theme is Arabic chill-out. I love the music (flamenco, arabic, some Spanish) and the guys that work there are extremely nice. There are red velvet couches along the back wall for sitting and people watching. It does get really smokey inside.

cheap, good home cooking: Bar Elisabets (about 2 blocks from the MACBA, down C/ Elizabets, headed towards the Ramblas). 8 euros for a full menu including drink and dessert (get homemade mousse, my favorite being lemon. . . it is more dense than the chocolate). Coffee is 1 euro.

Best walks in the city: All the way up Balmes street (University plaza to Kennedy Plaza, ending in the park next to the old Soviet Embassy). Or Gran de Gracia up and Sant Joan down (at Diagonal metro stop, head up Passeig de Gracia until it becomes Gran de Gracia, then keep going until Lesseps Plaza, making sure to occasionally abandon the main street by going to the right and seeing the little apartments and plazas, then at Lesseps, head right a few blocks, then start going back down at St. Joan (get lost in the process. . . there is no better place). Or, walk from Plaza Espanya to Plaza Catalunya (there are lots of trees and very few people).

The secret must-see: el Ateneu Barcelones. walk down the ramblas from Plaza Catalunya, taking your second (?) left on Santa Anna street (there is a sign that says 'ateneu barceones'). The AB will be on your right. You can have lunch there, which is pretty good, but the real treat is up the flight of stairs. It is members only, but perhaps you can just get a peek. See the courtyard, the chess tables, the bar, all the furnishings, and then go up one more flight of stairs and behold the library. Be very very quiet and try not to gasp.

Best breakfast: Escriba candy store on the Ramblas (walking down, it is on your right past the Virreina Palace). Get chocolate a la taza and a croissant. They are the only truly respectable croissants in the city, and the chocolate is thick, hot and just sweet enough. Also, the molded candy is very impressive.

-------------------------------------------
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Claire,
You are a gem! Muchas gracias para lista. I copied it into my file for Spain next year!
Paula
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Faabulous! Thank you from me too!
Old May 24th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Claire, I hope to see you !!! I will miss you here , though. I hope you will have Internet soon when you come
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Well, an update for you all. Yesterday I spoke to mi casera (the landlady) and she said that I am allowed to sign up for a landline, which probably means that I will have internet (Cova, gracias por los consejos, que le dije lo que me habías dicho y le pareció bien).

Kenderina- I am going to Alicante for the Hogueras, so I will wave on my way through Castellón. However, I think that a gtg is in order. I will be in Valencia a few times this summer (lincasanova knows this), so I will keep you posted. And if you are in Barcelona. . . ya sabes dóndes estoy yo. . . ¡contigo!
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Topping with another update: I have taken care of pretty much everything (apartment, schedule, travel for the first few weeks, etc) and I just got confirmation that a foodie friend of mine will be in Barcelona for an eating tour. So, for 5 days I will get up in the morning, go to work, take lunch somewhere with the fabulous Ms. Z (travel companion), then do fun touristy things and walk around so that we are hungry for dinner.

Thanks to the board, we are pretty sure about where we are going to eat, we just have to make reservations and get excited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -