Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moving About the Baltic States (Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In beginning to piece together how I'll move from place to place in these countries, I'm noticing that some of the train trips are really excessive in length. Having never traveled to this part of the world before, I was hoping some Fodorites might have some advice on the best way to pass between the following cities/countries in this order:

Krakow-- Warsaw-- Gdansk-- Vilnius-- Riga-- Tallinn.

This is part of a much larger trip that I'll be doing on a budget, so I'm trying to avoid flying unless it's with low-cost carriers. Unfortunately, their flight routes aren't cooperating to this regard. Does anyone have any other thoughts?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM

I did Tallinn - Riga - Vilnius - Warsaw by Eurolines bus a few years ago. Not very comfortable compared to a train, but very cheap it is. In fact, train service up there is scarce to non-existant anyway.

Then I did Warsaw to Krakow by train. Also cheap, and crowded. You might want to have a seat reservation before you get on board.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thx a million Spaarne! Just after I posted this, I found the link to the Eurolines website, and it was super easy to use. It looks like eliminating Gdansk from the mix is the way to go, and then I can move from Warsaw-Vilnius-Riga-Tallinn for €61 all-in.

I was curious about the comfort on these buses, considering one of them is overnight. For that price though, I'll just suck it up. I was pleased to see the buses (well these anyway) have wi-fi on them. Did you use this feature? If so, how did it work?
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Can't you just hire a car in Poland, do a circle, then leave it in Poland?

Although trains between Cracow, Warsaw and Gdansk are fine, cheap and reasonably nifty, there's a problem called Kaliningrad on most trains between Gdansk and the Baltics, which is infinitely more horrible (though, if you can organise and survived it, a great notch to have on your belt) than just a few extra hours on a train. I don't think there's cheapo planes between Poland and Lithuania.

So you might look at training round Poland, then getting a train from Warsaw to Vilnius.

Once you're in Lithuania, though, Air Baltic does cheapos to the other Baltics.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

I won't be circling back to Poland is the issue. From Tallinn, I'm headed to Helsinki via ferry. So, unfortunately, that won't work. I think I have it figured out with buses, but I appreciate your help.

I noticed too the Kaliningrad issue with the train, so I'll have a look at Air Baltic to see how their cheapo fares relate to the bus prices. I can't imagine these buses being the lap of luxury, so if the prices aren't terribly different, that might be the way to play.

Thx Flanner!
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
www.eurolines.com was very easy traveling between the Baltic countries. If you do to travel by bus, make sure you buy your ticket the day before you leave a city. Busses fill up. This is a good site to download information for the places you are visiting. Richard www.inyourpocket.com
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 11:34 AM

Kyliebaby3,

Your price is about what I paid. I think it was €15 or less for each of the three legs.

It was overnight from Vilnius to Warsaw for me. My 6' body was cramped in the seat. I don't sleep in that position. I didn't have wifi four years ago. I have it now. My Asus wifi sometimes works in Europe and sometimes not.

The buses should have toilets but I suggest that you drain your bladder before getting on. The buses don't stop except for passport control. Maybe they don't even do that any more. Also bring a snack and beverage on board. Note that the currencies are all different up there. No euros. Bring some small greenbacks or euro bills to get emergency change if you can't find an ATM immediately. Money changers are everywhere. Toilets require payment in local wampum in most places.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Iris and Spaarne!

This is really helpful information being that I've never been to this part of the world before and I will be traveling solo. I will definitely make sure to book at least the day before on the buses, and sort myself out before boarding. I'll have to see what the deal is with the wi-fi. My little netbook has it built-in, so I'm hoping it's as easy as turning on my computer from the seat. If it works, it will give me the chance to blog en route.

It's funny because at first glance, it almost seemed annoying that these countries aren't on the €, however, once I thought about it, I had a flashback of Budapest and how great that was. I'm sure I will appreciate it since the € ratio could certainly be better!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Hello,
You can choose the train connection between Kraków, Warsaw, Gdansk and Wilno.
The journey fm Krakow to Warsaw takes 2,5 hrs.
Kraków - Gdańsk abt 7 hrs (The night train with sleeping carriage available but journey is much longer).
Warsaw - Gdansk abt 4 hrs.
Gdansk - Wilno: you can take the train with change in Warsaw (4 + 9 hrs)or in Białystok (totally abt 15 hrs).
PKS express bus: (night journey abt 12 hrs) stops in Marijampole and in Kaunas, so you can leave the bus in Kaunas also to see the town and take the local bus to Wilno.
Trakai situated abt 30 km fm Wilno is recommended also.
Regards
Malgorzata
from Gdansk