Tallinn, Estonia to Warsaw, Poland

Old Nov 24th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be spending 11 days traveling by car from Tallinn, Estonia to Warsaw, Poland the end of May. Any suggestions for important points of interest. Looking forward to seeing cultural & historic places and National parks are of interest. Any suggestions.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 08:09 AM

There are just too many places in order to mention them all. Google!
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 04:04 PM

Posted by: thetravellers on Nov 25, 13 at 1:20am
My husband & I will be spending 11 days traveling by car from Tallinn, Estonia to Warsaw, Poland the end of May. Any suggestions for important points of interest. Looking forward to seeing cultural & historic places and National parks are of interest. Any suggestions.

I did that by bus for the capital cities only. Those cities have great old towns and food.

I have also driven across Poland from Berlin to the Lithuanian border, and then south to and into the Ukraine. Northern Poland is flat. Each village has a church and a police station. Watch your speed. The most interesting thing I saw over there were the HUGE stork nests on farm house roofs everywhere.

I guess you will have a drop-off fee for the car. There isn't much choice. The bus service is very uncomfortable. There are no convenient trains between the countries.
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

If we drop the car off at Vilnius, Lithuania, we'd avoid the huge drop off charge, but is the train to Warsaw timely & reasonable. I couldn't find any trains going to Warsaw from Vilnius. Many car rentals won't allow the car to go to Poland or the drop off charge is huge. We fly out of Warsaw. How do we get there?
Old Nov 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The direct train between Vilnius and Warsaw seems to have been canceled. Now you have to change trains in Minsk, which means it will take a long time and you'll need a visa for Belarus... (for schedules go to http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml ) If you don't want to take the bus I'd look at flying (use http://www.skyscanner.com ). I've flown AirBaltic without problems, and you could consider a stop in Riga if you're not doing it on the way to Vilnius.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 05:15 AM

There are famous salt mines in Poland (near Krakow) that I skipped when I visited the places you mentioned, and later learned how great they are. So I regretted skipping them.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 02:15 AM

we are also travelling on may 23 from tallin to warsaw. but we would be renting the car. One option is to drop the car at vilnuis airport capital city of Lithuania and than rent another car from there to warsaw with this you will save 50% of the price.