Movie Locations in Paris

Sep 10th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Movie Locations in Paris

Last time I was there I enjoyed visiting the cafe and other locations from "Amelie" and wonder if anyone knows some locations from other films one might want to visit there.
Thanks
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Have you seen "Avenue Montaigne", "2 Days in Paris", "Paris Je T'Aime"?
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Just saw Avenue Montaigne but not the others. Do you know their locations?
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Bourne Conspiracy was on last night, parked their mini at Seine level, just east of Notre Dame...one of my favorite views (Ile St Louis, Notre Dame,etc..). Also featured Samaritaine, Pont Neuf, Pont des Arts, Institut de france, rue Rivoli, Hotel Regina...
Sep 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM

The nice thing about Paris Je t'Aime is that is was all over Paris, that was sort of the theme of the movie. I think it had one short story segment in every arrondisement.

I just saw Two Days in Paris and rather enjoyed it, even though it was sort of bizarre. The funny thing was it had really strong stereotypes of both French and American/tourist behavior, and that was funny to some degree. They weren't positive ones, either, including many French ones. A lot of stereotypes actually are true, although the movie exaggerated some things, of course. For example, there was the stereotype of tourists going to see Jim Morrison's grave, which is true, and then the wacky French father keying cars (which does happen in Paris, don't know how much). Well, Julie Delpy is a little nuts, I think, and I think you'd have to know some of these cultural peculiarities to really appreciate the film, a lot of it is sort of an in-joke. I really would not go out of my way to find locations from that film. I don't know where their apartment was in there, but other sites were nothing special (like the train station, Pere Lachaise, etc.).

Neither 2 days in Paris nor Paris Je t'Aime are really the kind of film you seek out locations from, like Amelie. They were more realistic. I suspect some of those interiors could have been her families' real homes, as the father in the film was her real father.
Sep 10th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Our own fodorite "Beatchick" has lots of Paris movie tips. Including the series for "Before Sunset" - which I used to visit several sites. The first scene started at Shakespeare & Co. And you can follow her links to the other locations. Or search on her other Paris entries:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/tp/fe498/
Sep 10th, 2007, 12:24 PM

I'm pretty sure Julie and her boyfriend were walking down the rue Saint-Dominique where it intersects with rue Cler when they bumped into Lucas at the florist shop.

That was one strange movie, but I enjoyed it. I read somewhere that those are her actual parents, and her actual cat (I think it was cigalechanta who wrote that, but could be wring). If so, can you imagine?
Sep 10th, 2007, 03:29 PM

I can't walk down the stairway in front of the Nike of Samothrace in the Louvre without thinking of fabulous Audrey Hepburn in her fabulous red Givenchy gown ("Funny Face").

Audrey and Cary Grant filmed scenes from "Charade" at the Hotel Saint-Jacques in the Quartier Latin.
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:43 PM

How about a nice drive round the periphique, a la Frantic! 8-)
Sep 10th, 2007, 05:06 PM

Some of the last scenes in "Something's Gotta Give", a very entertaining movie with Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson, are in Paris. The restaurant scene was filmed in Le Grand Colbert at 2-4 Rue Vivienne. My husband and I had a nice dinner there when we were in Paris in April 2006.
Sep 13th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I emailed Beatchick, who's actually writing a book about Paris film locations. We'll both be there at the same time, so planning to hook up there. Also may go to Le Grand Colbert for dinner thanks to you guys.