Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Most scenic public or organized pay beaches in Puglia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2024, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More specifically, down by Santa Maria di Leuca? Just made the decision yesterday to rent a car to simplify transportation between Polignano and Leuca. We’ll bus or train from Polignano to Lecce and pick up the reserved car there and drive to Leuca. It was reasonable at $250 for 3 days with 2 drivers and full coverage. We’ll return the car to Leuca and spend 4 nights there before 2 nights in Matera, followed by some time in Naples

So, now that we have wheels for 3 days, what should we try to see/taste/do? Already on the agenda is this for Friday night. What else? (We’re a couple, in our late 50s on average)
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a car in this area as well, but I'm not much of a beach person. I do recommend checking out The Puglia Guys website--
https://www.pugliaguys.com/

I used some of their restaurant, bar, and touristic recommendations and was quite pleased. I think their beach recos would be great.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 11:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
worth checking when you will be in the area, for example for most of September the "private" beaches staff will probably no longer be in place as many of these things pop up for the high summer only
Old May 23rd, 2024, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Excellent point - thank you. I’ll edit my original post to reflect our travel dates (mid July).
Old May 23rd, 2024, 01:49 AM

Everything will be crowded in August. July may still be pleasant.
https://spiagge.life/en/beach/baia-dei-turchi
Old May 23rd, 2024, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
worth checking when you will be in the area, for example for most of September the "private" beaches staff will probably no longer be in place as many of these things pop up for the high summer only
Here in Le Marche, which is three regions further north, global warming has extended high summer season well into September.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bvlenci
Here in Le Marche, which is three regions further north, global warming has extended high summer season well into September.
I don't doubt it, we've just a month's rain in a few days, again and again and again. Climate Change is so obvious and coming to get us all I fear.