Guided day tour from Porto to Braga and Guimaraes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2023, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Porto for 4 nights in late April and want to see Braga and Guimaraes with a small group tour with transport for one day. Any recommendations of a reputable guide service? Thank you.
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 07:18 PM

When we were in Porto we booked a daytrip to the Douro valley with a local vendor that turned out to be excellent. They also offer a Braga and Guimares day trip. We traveled with a terrific driver/guide in a very comfortable van with a small group (8 all together.)
Old Feb 1st, 2023, 09:57 PM

Ilike Seamus´s suggestion, but here is second source, if you need it, Cool Tours Portugal. I have used them for a reasonably cost small group guided day tour both to the Douro and to Braga/Guimarăes.

https://www.thecooltours.com/regular...uimaraes-tour/
Old Feb 2nd, 2023, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I'll look into both of these and I'm sure we'll use one of them.
Old May 22nd, 2024, 03:39 PM

Half-Day Tour to Braga and Guimaraes?

Hello—I'm seeing lots of day tour options from Porto to Braga and Guimaraes that last 8 hours, but that's a bit long for me and my boyfriend since we're only in Porto for 3 days and want to spend time in the city itself too. I'm hoping for an abridged half-day tour (around 4 or 5 hours) to Braga and Guimaraes instead. Do you know of any?

We also will have a car, so we could technically drive there ourselves and do short guided tours of select sites. If we did that, any recommendations?

Thank you!
Old May 22nd, 2024, 07:23 PM
kja

@ Romycom: I wonder what, exactly, you hope to see in Braga and Guimaraes that you think you can meaningfully see in a 4 or 5 hour tour from Porto? And what do you think you will do with a car while in Porto? I don't mean to be snarky -- you may have very good reasons for exploring these options. FWIW, I personally, I can't imagine that having a car while in Porto would be anything but an incumbrance and can't imagine being willing to give up a 3rd day in Porto for lots of time in a car for just an hour or two in Braga and In Guimaraes (each of which I thought merited closer to 1.5 or 2 days at a minimum).

Last edited by kja; May 22nd, 2024 at 07:34 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 03:27 AM

What kja said.
The Unesco World Heritage city of Guimarăes and the ecclesiastical capital of Braga both deserve an overnight or preferably two, and you just can't possibly do justice to both and also see the staircase of Bom Jesus do Monte in a half day tour from Porto or by rental car (a huge handicap to have to get in and out of Porto). The Braga-Guimarăes tours from Porto are all 8 hour days for a good reason.
And as kja says there's so very much to enjoy in Porto, I would think you would want to spend your 3 full days there.
Old May 23rd, 2024, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Braga/Guimaraes Day Tour

We used Cool Tours for the Braga/Guimaraes day tour which Maribel recommended. It was wonderful: small group, nice van, friendly guide and pre-arranged lunch at a nice restaurant. We were in Porto for four nights when we dedicated a day for this tour. I agree with the others you won't want/need a car in Porto as well as in Braga/Guimaraes. You could do the 8 hour tour and still have time for a pleasant evening on the river in Porto. While in Porto we did a side trip via a short tram ride to the Foz area - walked along the water and had a nice lunch at one of many restaurants lining the water. Another day we walked across the river bridge to Graham's Port Lodge and had a great tour and tasting. You can have an enjoyable time in Porto without rushing around. Like many other travelers, Porto was our jumping off point via train to the Douro Valley for four nights which was incredible!
Old May 23rd, 2024, 08:57 AM

Thanks for your feedback 1889mdmd. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and glad you got out to Foz and took the Graham's tour.