Guimaraes/Braga

Old May 17th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guimaraes/Braga

I haven't seen too many discussions of Guimaraes and Braga on this forum, but I'm interested in people's impressions of the two cities. In my planned itinerary I have time set aside for day trips from Porto to both Guimaraes and Braga, but as I'm planning things out more specifically I'm wondering if I should cross one off the list in favor of another full day in Porto.

Right now my itinerary looks like this (this is the second half of my trip, the first half will be spent in Lisbon and Sintra):
- Depart Obidos, spend day in Coimbra, arrive Porto
- Guimaraes (day trip)
- Braga (day trip)
- Porto
- Porto
- Porto (leave mid-afternoon for Lisbon)

I'm thinking I might just want to slow down and meander my way through Porto. But I'm at a loss as to which city - Guimaraes or Braga - I should cut out. Everything I've read online seems to favor Guimaraes because it's more historic, but when I look at things to do in both cities, I see much more in Braga that interests me.

I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what to do, but I'd love to hear from people who have visited one or both of these cities. What were your impressions? Which city did you enjoy more and why?
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:44 PM

IMO having day tripped to Guimares and Braga on separate days and spending time in Naples are well worth it as a couple of days in Porto should suffice most interests - even the most dedicated Port Wine enthusiasts - do visit one of the caves along the river in Porto. But I enjoyed Braga and Guimares very very much and are easy day trips by train or car.
Old May 18th, 2018, 12:51 PM

I had about the same amount of time in Porto as you have. Also did day trips to Guimares and Braga. Both were great and I recommend. Went by train from Sao Bento.
Old May 18th, 2018, 01:24 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent two nights in Guimares before we arrived in Porto and highly recommend a visit there, the first capital of Portugal. We didn’t stop in Braga so can’t compare, bur we really liked the whole Minho region.