Most satisfactory museums and monuments of the Paris metropolitan area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Lord knows exactly what "satisfaction" is supposed to mean when visiting a museum or monument, but the tourist authorities have made a survey of satisfaction for 27 museums and 15 monuments of the region of Paris.

The top three are the Musée du Quai Branly (86.5%), the Château de Fontainebleau (85.5%) and the Louvre (85.4%).

The average rating of all of the sites by visitors was 73%.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

I should also mention that the weak points were 1) management of waiting time to enter and 2) cleanliness of restrooms.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm.. satisfaction? I guess that's just overall experience. I can see how bad bathrooms or some really bad management or queuing problem might get to you. But I find it surprising that the Musee d'Orsay isn't near the top. Results sound skewed, as the Branly is the number one satisfactory attraction in Paris? Don't think so, but maybe that poll is biased like a lot of those polls just towards what is new. How did the l'Orangerie fare? I'd think that would be up there as it is new and people are just batty about those water lilies.

They often do these silly polls in the US about most admired person or woman, and it's always just someone who is currently in the news a lot, even when they aren't someone that extraordinary, and then they get replaced by new people in the news.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:32 PM

And can see why Versailles is not on there - mob scene probably in the palace and i've heard many say that it was hectic. Orsay even last Feb was also a bit claustrophobic in regards crowding of both art and crowds in a too-small space IMO

Like christina i'd say the Branly, which i have not been to, was satifying because it was something new and more than met their perhaps limited expectations?

anyway interesting poll
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I enjoyed d'Orsay very much (as did a rather large group of teenagers)and am surprised it was not in the top three. The Louvre of course was a must see, but you really can't do it all in one day without reaching a museum overload. It was really crowded, even in mid November.

I also wonder how the Rodin did in the poll. We throughly enjoyed that trip. Small, easy to take in, beautiful grounds and helpful staff.
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Actually really surprising to me that Louvre rated so high - maybe because of the underground mall, etc.

would have though Orsay would have been more a satisfying experience than Louvre
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

The poll was in the free daily Metro newspaper today. Since Fontainebleau and the Louvre were only one tenth of a percentage point apart, who knows? -- maybe the Orsay came in 4th at 85.3%
Old Dec 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM

I find this surprising too, but as others have pointed out "satisfaction" is a very subjective term. I sure wasn't "satisfied" with the mob scene at the Louve and was much more "satisfied" with my experience at d'Orsay, Picassco, Pompidou, Rodin, & l'Orangerie.