Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

most relaxing place to stay on the Amalfi coast?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:44 AM
difnie

I am travelling in Italy this summer and I am hoping to spend a few days on the amalfi coast to relax after the cities. In your opinion which is the most relaxin place to stay, Positan, Praiano or others? I would love to stay in a beautiful plce from which it is relatively easy to take a day trip to Capri. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 08:24 AM
meg

Positano is pretty relaxing as cars cannot negotiate the steep streets nearer the sea. There are also frequent boat trips from Positano to Capri in the summer.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:11 AM
aggii

Ravelo is magical and not so crowded with tourist shops. We stayed at the Hotel Marmorata which gave us access to the sea, with Ravello and other towns, a short cab ride away. Try to stay overnight at Capri when all the daytrippers are gone.<BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:52 AM
tracy

We love the Amalfi Coast. Stay in Sorrento and daytrip to Capri if you like. We stayed at the wonderful Hotel Minerva in Sorrento. Best view of everything around. (one day I'll stay somewhere else and quit writing about this place) Catch the elevator at Via Capo 32. Get off on the 5th floor and your on their fabulous terrace overlooking the Mediterranean, enjoy the pool that overlooks a cliff. Ask for a sea-view room. The owners speak English and include breakfast. About $120 for a Db. in 2001. Fax 081-878-1949 or tel. 081-878-1011. Capri is 25 mins away by boat. Have a great time.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 11:39 AM
Sally

Don't overlook Ischia Island with its many spas and thermal baths also minutes away. Spend the night in Capri and Ischia.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Patrick

If you mainly want a beautiful place to relax and you also want to visit Capri, then why not do it all there? It is a wonderful place to relax, and you will not enjoy a day trip there -- you need to spend at least a night or two.