Hawaiian shirts in Europe

Sep 14th, 2000, 01:56 PM
kauai_dude

Hawaiian shirts in Europe

Aloha,

I'm taking my first trip to UK, France and Italy and their usual big cities.

Will I stick out like a sore thumb if I wear my Hawaiian shirts?
They are very comfortable, somewhat wrinkle-free, easily washable, etc.

I usually stick out anyway since I'm 6'4" and 245#.
Suggestions?
Mahalo

Sep 14th, 2000, 02:35 PM
Richard

You'll be fine. Each year we meet German friends and this year it was Paris. Henning's day wear always includes a Hawaiian type shirt and a ball cap, same as it was in Luxembourg, Bremen, Cesky Krumlov etc.

Sep 14th, 2000, 08:07 PM
back

hi

Sep 15th, 2000, 05:03 AM
david west

Blimey! I hope you're joking. In england they'll think you're a pro darts player! Just try and get into the ritz!

Apr 28th, 2002, 12:31 PM
James

It's now 2002. My son likes wearing his "cool" hawaiian shirts over t'shirts. We are travelling to Germany and Switzerland. These shirts do pack well. Are they in still there? They are very popular here in Toronto.

Apr 28th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Lord Darlington

A Fright! Please do not infect our beautiful Empire with your ragged American clothing.

Apr 28th, 2002, 01:31 PM
aloha

<Are they in still there?>
Actually they never have been in and I don't think they ever will! Ugh.

Apr 28th, 2002, 01:47 PM
amy

Lord Darlington is a complete MORON. Toronto is in CANADA. You should wear whatever makes you feel comfortable during sightseeing. And wear proper attire for dinners, etc. I have never known the Brits to be fashion trendsetters. Well, maybe they did invent the grunge look in the 70's.

Apr 28th, 2002, 03:19 PM
You

Don't worry, it will be fine.

I think we all are way too concerned here about EXACTLY what to wear on our vacations. Truth is, it is more important to be respectful, polite, and appreciative of our surroundings. What we wear is who we are. It is very uncomfortable to pretend to be someone or something else. Wear your shirts or your colors, or your shorts. You will stick out more if you feel uncomfortable with who you are. Be polit, kind, and that's it.

Apr 28th, 2002, 03:58 PM
oscar wilde

Only if you have a washboard stomach, no love handles and nicely developed pectorals and biceps. Oh, and a tight butt also.

Apr 28th, 2002, 04:24 PM
xxx

So, Oscar, with all those requirements - pray tell what do you wear?

Apr 28th, 2002, 04:39 PM
rb

Last spring when in Rome the stores all along Via Del Corso were featuring Hawaiian style shirts...in Europe American fashions are quite popular...and actually not everyone in Europe dresses stylish.

Apr 28th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Melissa

I think you'll do fine, bruddah. Just checking: What kind are you going to wear? The loud ones, or the Reyn's ones? The big HIC print kind, or the reversed-out-banker-type shirts? I would guess that since you're from Hawaii you have the nice, "cool" kind. I was in a couple of college towns in France & Germany a couple of years ago and they had aloha shirts in the store windows. They were definitely targeting the uber-cool young surf-skate-snow types, but the print was ugly.

Apr 28th, 2002, 06:48 PM
xxx

Find out if you're a winter, spring, summer or fall so you can wear the appropriate colors with your skin type.....

Apr 28th, 2002, 08:46 PM
xxx

Fine....only if you have no sense of pride whatsoever. In France you will be roundly ridiculed, if not to your face then certainly behind your back. It all depends on how thick your skin is and how much you care to blend into the local culture, which is actually a GOOD thing, since blending in makes you far less a target for petty theft, etc. But if your Hawaiian shirt is that important to you, then wear it, and bear the consequences. You'll no doubt be back on these boards three months hence whining about how badly you were treated in France and how you lost your wallet in italy and how the Europeans are frightful.

Apr 28th, 2002, 09:03 PM
tino

No problem at all. If you have friends in Europe like I do, they will beg you to send them some! They're quite popular but not readily available.

Apr 28th, 2002, 11:14 PM
mpprh

Hi

I've noticed increasing numbers of these shorts, worn with loud check shorts and nike trainers at the opera, 3* restaurants etc.

In fact, I think I saw a photo of chirac opening some public building in this attire.

So it certainly seems to be in here.

Don't forget the shade, cigar and camera.

Peter

Apr 29th, 2002, 02:33 AM
Jill

Some of these responses are not helpful to kauai-dude at all. What do you think about wearing the shirts? No smart aleck replies necessary!

When I was in Italy last summer, people wore shirts with subtle tropical designs in subtle colors. They wore them with shorts or pants or skirts. They wore colors other than black and sometimes even (gasp) solid color (no ads or phrases) cotton shirts without collars. Women wore sleeveless tops or dresses in all sorts of colors and prints.

And guess what? A lot of these people were Italians! Take a few shirts with you and wear them if you feel like it.

And, xxx, someone I know who travels to Paris and other European cities many times a year was pickpocketted in Paris and they were dressed in black. Go figure.

Apr 29th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Laura

You know what, I think I will take my Hawaiian shirts too. I will be on the Big Island before I am in Italy this year, so I will get some, maybe two and wear them with white slacks. I will mix up my two favorite places, Sorrento and Kona! I will let you all know what happens!

Apr 29th, 2002, 11:53 AM
tino

Kauai_dude, I was serious in my response. They are admired but not readily available. I've sent several from Oahu to European friends at their request. By all means, wear it tastefully. Mahalo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO