Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Most interesting towns on or near the Semmering railway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2024, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm planning a Budapest/Graz trip this summer or fall. Getting from Budapest to Graz I will deffinitely take a train with a change in Vienna because I'd like to see the Semmering railway.
I wonder if maybe it would be a nice thing to stop for a while in one of the small towns along it.
Which one is the most cutesy-looking? Mürzzuschlag, Gloggnitz, Reichenau an der Rax, Semmering (the town) or some other town/village? Mind that I will only use the train + whatever buses there are or walk, I won't have a car.
Likes: Nature and classical Central European architecture.
Dislikes: Industrial cities and towns (I think I'd like to skip places that lack much in terms of interesting old buildings like Ternitz)

Judging from photos and street view Reichenau appears to be the most beautiful to me town in the area in terms of architecture, but I'd rather hear opinions of people that have visited. Semmering is a nice town as well but it looks like it's more about the nature around it because very few people live there. Reichenau an der Rax is larger.

And a side question - I can't find any information on day or week train cards for ÖBB. Do they have day/week travel passes for Austrian trains or do I have to book each ticket separately? On the ÖBB wbsies they refer to the Eurail/Interrail passes which isn't what I need and their price don'r make sense for my trip financially.

Last edited by tanek; Mar 17th, 2024 at 12:17 PM.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grimmenstein castle looks interesting in that area, but it's a bit out of the way. It's connected via regional train with the Edlitz-Grimmenstein train station.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ein_-_Burg.JPG
Looking at street view though the castle seems accessible only by car, I didn't see any pedestrian trails. The hills look very steep with no trails. Can it be accessed on foot at all?