Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Most efficient transportation San Remo to Nice!

Jun 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

I will be dropping a rental car off in San Remo and then going to Nice for two nights. I will then rent another car in Nice to avoid the drop off fees. What's your opinion on San Remo. Is it worth a night stay or avoid and spend additional day in the French Riviera.
Jun 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I would move on---by train.
Jun 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM

I agree with Bob on this one. We did exactly what you are thinking of and spent the night in San Remo and then took the train next morning into Nice.

San Remo is nothing special but we did have a pleasant evening. The problem we encountered was we couldn't drop our car off until the next morning as the rental office wasn't open that day. When we arrived at the office in the morning the office was padlocked even though it was supposed to be open. We called the office from a cell phone and they said they were open. However, when I explained we were standing in front of the office the man then didn't seem to speak English.

We figured out he was in a coffee shop and in no hurry to open up. Needless to say we were a little upset as we only had a small time to drop off the car and catch the train to Nice.

Not a good experience. Next time I would do it differently and spend the extra day on the Riviera.
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:09 PM

I couldn't agree more with the suggestion of train. It's not far at all, and not expensive, either.

BC
Jun 5th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Keep going. San Remo is nothing special at all. Dowdy place, considering the potential it has.