Reload this Page >

Unsure of Lodging in San Remo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Cindy Kane

My trip to Italy/France: Starting at the CT, traveling N. to S. Margherita and on toward Riviera di Ponente. I thought S. Remo would be a good home base to visit Cannes, Monte Carlo, Menton, etc. I'm getting different messages about S. Remo - good and no-so-good. All I really want to do in SR is see the town, and take the train to the other towns I mentioned, and come back late day. Any opinions/suggestions?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:09 PM
StCirq

San Remo is ok - a small area with some nice shops and a few restaurants, a couple of small beaches, a few old shabby-chic hotels, a bustling but kind of seedy weekend market. On the whole we enjoyed our 2-day stay there, but found it a bit scruffy and not a place I'd hurry back to. Also, we were driving, so I don't have a realistic idea of how long it would take to visit the French towns by train, but I didn't get the idea that you could exactly zip from San Remo over to Monte Carlo, for example. I think Menton would be a better home base for that.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Rex

Excerpted from her &quot;other&quot; post of exactly the same question, less than an hour apart:<BR><BR>Author: Rex ([email protected])<BR>Date: 01/10/2003, 09:59 pm<BR>Message: I spent one night in San Remo at the Nyala Suites hotel, and I have been on their (snail) mail mailing list ever since. Nice brochures every six months or so. They seem quite intent on getting me back!<BR><BR>We arrived fairly late, and so I didn't really see the town, as we caught the train to Nice the next morning. For us, it was a decent place where we could turn in our Italian car and go on to France. The hotel treated us fine and was as advertised with a nice enough pool for a late night swim. it is &quot;on property&quot; but oddly enough by virtue of a tunnel &quot;across the street&quot;.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>And I posted this here to say that there ARE direct trains from S. Remo to Monte Carlo, at least three times a day.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:37 AM
ttt

topping, for Cindy<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Mari

Cindy, we stayed in San Remo last summer as a base to visit the same places you are plannig to see. We enjoyed it, but if we were to do it again we would stay in Menton.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Cindy Kane

Mari, After spending the day researching S. Remo, I've decided to stay in Menton. I've been looking for an e-mail address for the Princess-Richmond Hotel, but can't find one (just a web site). It seems the hotels in France only list web sites, tel. &amp; fax #'s. Can anyone help me?