mosel--B&B's or small inns

Old May 26th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mosel--B&B's or small inns

looking for suggestions for clean and comfortable lodging for 3 nites between trier and koblenz... any suggestions would be most welcome...thanks
Old May 26th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Cochem is my favorite stop there. I'll be staying at Frau Mattes' B&B again this summer at Loehrstrasse 34, just a couple of blocks off the Marktplatz in the old town area.
20 Euros per person, less for longer stays: Loehrstr. 34, tel. 02671/5448(call ahead if you can do a little German, or just show up; she's not listed with the TI.)

Frau Hilken's place a couple of doors down is very nice, too, about the same price, and listed with the tourist office: Loehrstr. 20, tel. 02671/3254; call/fax/e-mail the TI to book in English or to get help with other possibilities - verkehrsamt.cochem@lcoc
tel 02671/60040 and /19433
fax 02671/6004-44
Old May 27th, 2003, 10:55 AM

The ALTE THORNDECKE in COCHEM is a great place. Built into the old city wall and nice people running the inn. We last stayed there in 1997 and have recommended this to friends.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:07 AM

Hotel Germania in Cochem is quite nice and very reasonably priced compared to more well-known inns in town.
Old May 27th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

cochemis always a favorite...can anyone suggest places in smaller towns along the river??
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:59 AM

If you have a car, I recommend Hotel Haus Lipmann in Beilstein. Lovely rooms on the river for 85 euro double. Our room overlooked the river and I spent a good deal of time early in the morning watching the river traffic. Excellent restaurant (indoor and outdoor) with a good selection of Mosel and other wines. Or sit in the square in the back of the hotel and sip wine. Friendly and helpful staff. Don't confuse it with hotels run by other members of the Lipmann family. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with the others, but we aren't familiar with them.

Beilstein has its own castle ruins hovering overhead, and an interesting church. It's a short drive to Cochem and the other sights along the Mosel. Tour boats stop there as well. And there is a little ferry that docks right in front of the hotel and will take you across the river if you care to do so. But if you are a big shopper, you'll have to do that during your daytrips to larger towns.

We sipped a lot of wine in 3 days.

http://www.hotel-haus-lipmann.de/english/index.htm
Old May 28th, 2003, 04:46 AM

rhkkmk:

There are dozens of towns that are even smaller than Cochem which you might visit. Traben-Trarbach, Bernkastel, Bullay, Alf, Zell, Ediger-Eller, and Puenderich are all nice in their own way. Of these, I think Bernkastel is probably nicest. But Bernkastel does have nearly the same population as Cochem - around 5,000 or 6,000. There are quite a few dining options there, and it's a beautiful little town.

In Bullay, I've stayed at Frau Eberhard's B&B - a comfortable place with a little balcony and a terrific breakfast about 2 blocks from the center of town that you could probably book through the tourist office there. The only problem for you might be that Bullay and these other tiny towns really are only a few blocks long and offer very little in the way of restaurants and in-town diversion. I like Bullay a lot for its hiking/biking opportunities, but there isn't much else there.

Cochem, with a population of fewer than 6,000 residents, is no metropolis,
if that's what you're thinking. You can walk across the entire town in a matter of minutes. But it has probably the best supply of B&B's and dining establishments all along the river for its size, and a wonderful atmosphere too (stay in the old town center if you go!)
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:58 AM

Just south of Cochem (between Zell and Bernkastel-Kues) is the small village of Reil. We found this quiet little town last year and it provided some great memories of our two days along the Mosel. Highly recommend the Weingut Haus Karina which provides a great view of the river. Our room with a vine covered balcony overlooking the Mosel was very nice and very reasonable. (http://www.bavariaben.com/weinguthau...ndermosel.html)

Russ - I enjoyed your description of the two B & B's in Cochem very much. Also enjoyed your eurowalker comments on epinions (assuming they are yours). I don't have your email address but would appreciate talking to you about your Cochem travels. If interested - my email address is on my website. Thanks. Ben
Old May 28th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for these great suggestions....i have marked them and will do more investigating...

bob