Moscow - to go or not to go

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband's company is sending him to Moscow for 6 weeks. My 19 month old son and I are invited to go along. The little guy is a world traveller but this destination makes me a little uneasy. Language, security etc. Any help out there? Thanks!
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:24 AM
P_M

Are you talking about going for the entire 6 weeks or just for a visit? In either case, I would definitely take this opportunity to visit such a fascinating city. I grew up hearing about the evil Russians who just want to conquer America, so I always thought that travel to Moscow was off limits to me. But times have changed and the Russians were never the evil villians we were taught about. 4 years ago I had the opportunity to go, and I have no regrets whatsoever. I'll never forget the feeling I had the first time I walked into Red Square. As the commercials would say, it was priceless. If you stay the entire 6 weeks, take a trip to visit St. Petersburg for a few days.

As far as safety goes, yes there is theft because many people are poor. But if you use basic common sense you will be fine.
Old Mar 26th, 2005, 07:43 AM
MNP

Without a doubt, I would say go.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Moscow. I have been all over Europe, but Moscow is the one city that keeps calling me back and that I can't get enough of. Its so fascinating and amazing.

As far as the language if you can just learn the alphabet, you are already doing great. At first its kind of like learning a secret language with secret code letters or something Its really not that difficult.

I have never felt in danger or that security has been an issue while I have been there.Just use the same cation you would in any other major city you have been in.

Good Luck with your decision!

Old Mar 26th, 2005, 11:22 AM

we loved moscow. if your baby is a good traveller, sounds like a great opportunity, at least for part of the time.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the info. To answer a few questions, yes we will be there for the entire six weeks. My husband will be working so we will be on our own most of the time. Several Russian friends have spoken to me about a bodyguard. I am not a flashy girl - no dripping jewels, big furs or such but they are very concerned. A new language is always fun and politeness a must. Any other advice?
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 06:47 AM
rex

<<A new language is always fun>>

Oh, if only this were the default attitude here!

Have a great trip!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 07:08 AM

A bodyguard? Do these people have credible information about possible threats or are they living in the past?

I wouldn't pass up this opportunity..after all, a lot of THEM thought WE were "evil" once you know.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:40 AM
kk

last time I was in Moscow was 1990 and many things have changed, but I expect that if you do your research and behave accordingly that you will be just fine. After all, there is random violence and madness here in the US too, and we don't have bodyguards do we?

Moscow is fascinating, and I went the first time when Khrushchev ruled, when it really was the evil empire. Go and enjoy yourself, and get to other places around too--for sure St. Petersburg, but read up on the train ride there...for it can be dangerous over night, though there are ways around that too.

You will have a fine adventure, and many many Russians speak English.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM
P_M

Instead of a bodyguard, I would hire a guide for the first few days to help you get oriented. I got around Moscow just fine without a bodyguard, as do hoards of other tourists every day.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:52 AM
MNP

wow, a bodyguard!!! I never ever ever felt the need for a body guard in Russia. I love P_Ms advice on maybe just hiring a tour guide for the first couple days to get aquantied to the city and the area you are living in...

I can totally understand how to some people Russia can seem intimadating but once you get there and have a chance to adjust its not so much. Personally I don't see any need for a bodyguard...Of course, I don't know what kind of work your husband will be doing over there...perhaps thats why your friends said you would need one!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I really liked Intrepid1's response. The "them" and "we" may be most fitting. The alarmists are ex Russian nationals and friends of my parents. I told my mother that perhaps they should come along - they could use another civil engineer couple on the project. (My husband's an architect so low on the international intrigue scale!) Her reply was that as much as they miss their familes that they are deathly afraid of setting foot in the USSR. Spoke volumes.

After everyone's encouragement I gave my husband the green light and emailed a "Russian Girl Friday" to show me the ropes for the first week. Thanks to All!!!