Morgan Hotel or St. Margaret's??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen the posts on this site about both venues. Looking for people who may have stayed at both locations - which one would you choose if you returned to London? We are 2 adults, 2 teenagers who will be visiting London around Xmas. St. Margaret's has positively replied with a family room. Looking for advice on Morgan vs. St. Margaret's. TripAdvisor has more favorable reviews on Morgan, but St. Margaret's sounds pretty nice as well. Opinions and advice please?? Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Topping, please, as I got not responses first time. Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:47 AM

Hi
I haven't stayed at either, and for a true comparison you would need someone who knows the family rooms in both hotels. I understand that the Morgan has had some recent renovations and I've sometimes seen St M's described as "threadbare" (but it's on a quieter street.) If you do a search right here on the Morgan, you should find the recent thread about it being renovated.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:48 AM

here's the thread on the MOrgan

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34455753
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:33 AM

lauralue9
I can't comment on St. Margaret's but we did stay at the Morgan two weeks ago. Virtually all rooms have been renovated in the main building which has 14 rooms. Additionally there is another building down the street that has about 5 apartment sized units which would probably work well for your family. I'm not sure if these units have been refurbished yet. The location is great. Rooms are super clean. VAT and full cooked to order English breakfast are included in the room rate.
JoeG
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Does the Morgan have an e-mail address or is the only way to contact them via phone or fax??
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:30 AM

per that Morgan posting thread above, they are working on having a website but it's not up and running so far.
I have found them very responsive to faxes.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:10 PM

Hello LauraLue,
Both hotels are convenient to the Tube ( Tottenham Court Road, Holborn, & Russell Square Stations) and both are within walking distance of Covent Garden and Soho.

I can't comment on St. Margaret's family room as I have never stayed there, but I've stayed in one of the Morgan's flats many times.
As far as I know, all the Morgan's flats have one bedroom. The one time that both my husband and son traveled with me to London, my son had a roll away bed in the flat's sitting room. The sitting room also has a leather sofa, but it doesn't open into a sleeper.
I think two roll away beds ( if that set- up is even available ) might be a little tight , especially if your teens are not the same gender.
I know that family groups do stay at the Morgan, because I see then in the breakfast room. What I don't know is whether the families have booked two rooms or if they have booked a flat.

As Elaine said, send a fax with your list of inquiries if you don't want to make a phone call. The managers of the Morgan are also the owners and they will respond to you in a timely fashion.

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:45 PM

Iv'e stayed at St. M's six times. It is threadbare and very few rooms are in sweet BUT It is sooo well located to absolutely everything, you can take the tube straight from Heathrow (and back again), walk or tube to everything, the British Museum is right around the corner, the staff, particulaly the breakfest room staff, is absolutly fabulous and the price is right. There is no elevator but they will help you up stairs with your bag, also no air con. Rooms on front get traffic noise but rooms there is a private park on the back (not part of the hotel) making these rooms very quiet. And you can see the roof of the new courtyard at the British Museum from the upper rooms. Best things about St. M's are the location, staff and ample breakfest.