Moreton instead of Stratford as Base?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had decided (with help from Fodorites) to try a new area and stay in Stratford instead of Bath as our base for a week. Now that someone turned me on to Google Earth, I'm a bit worried about walking distances in Stratford...to train staion, bus station, etc. for day trips. The lovely B&B we selected is across the river from town, so even going out for a newspaper or to the pub looks like it would be several blocks walk. I am not excited about any of the small hotels or B&B's right in town. Found out the Christmas Market happens the day we leave. Now I am waffling about Stratford. Others have mentioned Moreton-in-Marsh as a good "base". Looking at various websites, it has excellent train and bus connections to places we want to visit (Cirencester, Oxford, Stratford, etc.), plus a large weekly market on Tuesdays. Love "Market Day" in England! The town looks small, flat, and very manageable on foot. Would like to hear from others who have stayed there. Locally, we enjoy strolling, popping into book stores and charity shops, etc..then going back to our nearby lodging and watching TV. (Exciting, huh?)
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 05:42 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Moreton would be fine, but so would Stratford.

The B&B you were talking about in Stratford is not really "across the river from the town". The Avon runs right through Stratford and the B&B practically next to the river. It is a short walk from the Tourist Information Center, the theatres, etc. It is closer to the TIC than many of the hotels right in the "center" of Stratford.

This post and your new one about Blenheim w/ the emphasis on flat/easy walking seems like you may have mobility issues. If so, trying to explore the cotswolds by public transport may be harder than it seems. You will be doing a LOT of walking.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanksm janisj. It sounds as if you are very familiar with Stratford, so I value your opinion. One advantage to Stratford is that there are several taxi stands, if we get tired of walking. Perhaps there is a newsagent, pub, or little grocery along Shipton Road, which appears to be very close to the B&B. That would be nice. I was thinking Cherry Trees might be somewhat isolated, but apparently that isn't the case.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:44 AM

Hi Barbara
I live in Stratford. You can walk from Cherry Trees to the main shopping street in 5 minutes max. The T.I.C, is also 5 mins walk. The railway station is about a mile away as it is to the north of the town centre but your B&B would order a taxi for you. Stratford hasn't got a bus station (sore point with the locals)but many coaches pick up at the Leisure Centre by the Moat House Hotel, again very close to your B & B.

Stratford really isn't that big but it does have rather more of interest than Moreton in Marsh which is not to say that Moreton does not have charm, it does. You can take a bus to Moreton Market from Stratford on Tuesday mornings. Stratford has a regular Friday market in Rother Market near the American Fountain (if you Googleearth) and also Saturday Markets on Waterside by the ROyal Shakespeare Theatre. Charity shops include Oxfam, Sue Ryder and Cancer Research near Rother Market and Heart Foundation in Sheep Street. Can recommend "The Vintner" for morning coffee or a meal. other pleasant restaurants include "The Opposition" and "Lamb's".
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 01:46 AM

The "Shell" Garage at the corner of Shipston Road has a small convenience store on the premises.