Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

More time in London or add Paris/Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in Europe this summer for a long trip that includes Ireland and the Amalfi Coast as the highlights. We've found that getting from Ireland down to Italy is actually cheaper if we make some stops at some of the big cities along the way, which had already interested us so we've set aside a few days.

Let me start by saying that I know the time allotted here is nowhere near the time needed to do these cities right. We're still young (30) so we'll be back to Europe to spend more time in them, though probably not any time very soon.

That said, our options are to either spend two full days in London (not counting the travel days on each end), or to add another day and spend one full day in London and another in Paris, again not counting travel days. Additionally, instead of Paris we could do Venice for about the same price. We've been to Venice but only for a day and it was cold, rainy, and flooded (November) so we didn't really get to experience it. London and Paris we've never been to.

So basically, two questions...

1) London with two full days plus two half days (travel days), or London/Paris each with one full day plus three half days (travel days)?

2) Would Venice be worth doing over Paris?

Quick background. We are both 30 and aren't obsessed with hitting tourist spots, and aren't really museum people.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:36 PM

I would just do London...it will give you enough time to see a few sites and get a feel. Adding Paris or Venice will add cost, and you won't really get to see much given the time effort and cost of getting there.

Enjoy your trip!
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:18 PM

To me it is really hard to answer without knowing how much cheaper (are you factoring in the cost of transport to and from the airports for the two of you?) and how long you will be in Ireland and the Amalfi.

Another factor in my mind is how lightly you will packing and how easily you handle hotel changes, both in terms of sleeping and being organized. Apparently a lot of people need half a day to check in and out of a hotel, and if you fall into that category of traveler, than obviously you should limit the number of places you go.

Most of all, is there something in particular that you want to see in any of these cities? Because unless you get on a tour bus, you will only have time for a small handful of venues. If you are the kind of travelers who prefer to meander from cafe to cafe and taking picturesque strolls, soaking up the atmosphere, as opposed to choosing a destination because you've always been dying to see Ste Chappelle or the Rosetta Stone or you were so sad you missed the Titian in Venice, than you are looking at a lot of travel hassle just to spend 8 hours milling around. I don't think you'll absorb much for the effort.

Whirlwind stops in fabulous places can be extravagant fun if you pick out a just a few fabulous things to do to fill a day and limit yourself to that, along with nice meals and an evening treat. Otherwise, they feel like drive bys.

As for Venice vs Paris, ask yourself how you will feel if it rains all day in Venice for the one day you will be there, or for that matter, Paris.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

To answer some of the questions asked..

We'll be in Ireland for 11 days and the Amalfi coast for 6-7 days (depending on what we decide to do here). We'll be traveling fairly light, washing clothes in our hotel sink, etc. Packing/unpacking won't be a huge ordeal.

As far as cost goes, it's not significantly cheaper to add Paris, and with the additional airport cab fees it will probably be a wash. I think I worded it poorly in the original post. We wouldn't be doing this to save money, but rather doing it because we'd have the opportunity to see another city without really adding any significant cost to our trip.

There aren't any specific things we want to see in any of the cities. We'd likely just be picking out a few, and as you mentioned, soaking it up.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:47 AM

London is huge, and there's much to see and do even if you don't go into a single museum - stay there for the two days (you'll still want to come back) and do Paris and Venice on another trip.
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Whatever you decide - I wouldn't do just one day anywhere. Just too much hassle/moving and it leaves you almost no time to do/see anything.

I'd most likely do London myself. But any <u>one</u> of the cities would be fine.