Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

More than a passport needed to get into UK ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2018, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need anything other than a valid US passport to enter the UK?
After reading the 2018 DK travel book, I'm totally confused. It says I should bring the documents needed to apply for a visa, to show officers at the UK border. (I am flying into Heathrow).
Please advise.
Thanks
Sarah
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 08:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
US passport holders don't need a visa. Many other countries do . . .
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is your nationality?

Also, even if you are a US citizen, if you are young you may need proof of a return ticket and the funds to support yourself. We have had reports of young people traveling to visit boy/girlfriends being turned back if they don't have visible means of support.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 08:45 PM

The UK was never a signee of the Schengen Agreement, so that does not pertain. We have flown in and out London 7 or 8 times in the past 15 years and never had a problem.
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 09:06 PM

Why not go straight to the horse's mouth:

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y

Last edited by PatrickLondon; Mar 21st, 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PatrickLondon
Why not go straight to the horse's mouth:

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y

Hi Patrick.

I went to that site and that's where the confusion arises. I am a US citizen visiting London for one day, with a valid passport, and as I go thru the web page I find this :

You won’t need a visa to come to the UK

You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months without a visa.

However, you should bring the same documents you’d need to apply for a visa, to show to officers at the UK border.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 08:16 AM

Valid travel documents are necessary in step one. When they ask what is your reason for visiting, say you are a tourist. Unless you are traveling for business, give them your passport, and return flight information. Unless you are a convicted felon in the US, that should be all you need.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 09:46 AM

They might want to check if your reasons for visiting are what you say they are. Less likely if you look as though you're comfortably off, are carrying your return ticket and know where you're staying and what you're planning to see. More likely if you look like an impoverished student, have a one-way ticket and a vague story about staying with a friend to have a look round with no definite departure date, and your luggage turns out to contain some copies of your resumé and qualifications. A visa means all that has to be done before you leave; US tourists don't need to, but it's not necessarily a guarantee of admission - they still have to be satisfied you're not trying to get round the rules.
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 11:42 AM

I’ve always brought return tickets to show. I’ve never been asked for them. I just give short, straightforward answers to their questions. I’m a tourist, I was here last in January, I’m here for two weeks. That’s it.

my experience is that airline passport control goes much faster than train. When I took the Eurostar, it was more like crossing the Canadian border by car. More in depth questions. But still, as long as your passport is fine, you don’t babble or contradict yourself, and you don’t sound vague or shady, you’ll be fine.

If you’re stupid and say “I’m here to see my online boyfriend and stay on his couch for an indefinite amount of time”, well, then you may get a lot of attention!
Old Mar 22nd, 2018, 01:10 PM

My brother works at the airport and he says as long as you have details on your follow-on journey you will be fine. 180 days max stay without a visa, which obviously is enough for you. US Nationals are not really bothered ...that much. They are too busy interrogating other nationals!
Old Mar 25th, 2018, 03:36 AM

My husband and I both in our 70's were asked to show our return ticket whilst trying to re enter UK after a trip from London on the Eurostar . Because I couldn't show it we were accused of sponging on the NHS and the welfare system . Eventually the officer believed that we did have our return ticket to Australia and it was with our friends in London. My point is anyone can be questioned and have difficulty . Be prepared as others say here .