More scenic West or East Sicily?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking of visiting Malta and Sicily in April, 2-3 weeks.

Been to Malta once and to Sicily many times.

There are places I want to see more of, for instance Gozo and the western coast of the main island of Malta.

Then I was thinking that I'd visit both East and West Sicily but it just would make for too long a trip.

So for instance, I've stayed in Ragusa and Siracusa a couple of times each. But I haven't seen much of Modica or Scili, which both seem worth seeing in depth.

But on the Western end I could spend more time in Cefalu, maybe hike up the Rocca there, as well as drive up to Erice again.

Just have to choose one or the other because they're all worth seeing.

Main thing in favor of the Western side is that I'm familiar with flying out of PMO and could stay in Castellamare de Golfo and avoid traffic for the most part.

I've flown once out of CTA and stayed in Catania one night, wasn't bad but had to get out very early to the airport. Guess I could return the car early and do that again, probably took a bus or taxi to the airport which is nearby. Or maybe stay in Taormina and drive out but for an international flight originating in Sicily, probably need to depart very early in either case, to connect through probably Frankfurt because it will like be a United or Star Alliance flight.

Mostly looking for exterior scenery so all these places have it, whether seascapes or cityscapes, as well as of course historic architecture too.
Old Dec 29th, 2023, 04:26 PM

What about inland scenery?

Old Dec 29th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Been to Segesta and Caltagirone.

Not familiar with Vizzini.

Will probably want to be near CTA or PMO, both to arrive and leave. Or actually, may end up flying to Trapani and stay on that end of the island.

But there are more flights from Malta to Catania at least when I search now. Air Malta is actually ending operations at the end of March so the schedule is unsettled and I may have to rely on Ryan Air. Bleh.