Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

East Side, West Side...Which side of Sicily?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be travelling to Sicily at the end of April and can only stay one week, so therefore I think it best to do either the east side or west side. I'd just like to hear fodorite's thoughts and opinions on which side they liked best and why.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Palermo and surroundings are very sicilian, if you look for hideaway places outside take a ferry to one og the small islands north of palermo.
(aeolian islands)
fresh and traditionional sicilian fishfood very tasty with great fruity and herb island wines.
The east side is much more touristic.
Palermo itself is a chaotic but somehow pretty wild beauty to discover
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, confidential. Is there anyone who prefers the east side?
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:00 AM

I, for one, prefer the east side. It's a little bit less "Sicilian," i.e., a little bit better organized. Nor -- unless you spend all your time in Taormina -- is it more touristed. Siracusa (the old part on the island of Ortygia) is a gem; the Baroque towns of Noto and Ragusa are lovely to visit. If you really want to see ruins (there are a few in Siracusa itself), Piazza Armerina with the Roman villa and its mosaics and even Agrigento are, I think, doable from the east. Taormina might be worth a day (although it's the most touristed place in all of Sicily); if you're into nature and hiking, there's Mount Etna. You can easily give both Messina and Catania a miss; neither has much to offer.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:20 AM

I agree with Eloise. We spent 2 weeks touring all of Sicily. The east side has a lot more variety. Just because Taromina is touristy don't miss it, because it is also beautiful. We had dinner at a resturant over looking the low lands at night, WOW.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:22 AM

We live in Mineo, a town not far from Caltagirone, south east Sicily. There is much to see on the East Coast, from Taormina (the Sicilian 'riviera'), Alacantara Gorge, Mount Etna of course (!), Ortigia./Siracusa with eth ancient ruins, to name a few. Cefalu is beautiful.
Check out this site: http://www.bestofsicily.com
Its FAB for ideas and some links.
There's plenty wineries all over the island. When you are in Palermo check out Catacombs, Paladin Chapel. And the Aeolean Islands WELL WORTH IT.
Well we're all east coats fans! Any more q's contact [email protected]
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Judya, Eloise and Mousireid. You've been most helpful. I think I will stay on the east side of the island. I am considering Ortygia (Siracusa) and Taormina as a base. How long a drive is it from Siracusa to Agrigento? From Taormina to Cefalu? How about hotels in the $200 a night range? Are there better towns to stay in? Any restaurant recs? Whew, lots of questions. Actually, I'm having a hard time trying to upgrade with miles to business class. No more upgrades on Continental, Delta, American. Very frustrating. Anyone have any secrets or websites with reasonable prices in business class?

Thanks all. I appreciate the help.
Old Jan 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

I didn't see this post so I will repeat it. Sorry if it appears twice.

Thank you, Judya, Eloise and Mousireid. You've been most helpful. I think I will stay on the east side of the island. I am considering Ortygia (Siracusa) and Taormina as a base. How long a drive is it from Siracusa to Agrigento? From Taormina to Cefalu? How about hotels in the $200 a night range? Are there better towns to stay in? Any restaurant recs? Whew, lots of questions. Actually, I'm having a hard time trying to upgrade with miles to business class. No more upgrades on Continental, Delta, American. Very frustrating. Anyone have any secrets or websites with reasonable prices in business class?

Thanks all. I appreciate the help