Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sicily 8 days ---Help me structure my stay. thanks.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM
pkr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love scenery and some historical takes. Any ideas for structuring a trip to Sicily? By car. Not a beach goer although I like to look at the coast .
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sicily is the biggest island in the Mediterranean. In 8 days you are only going to be able to see a fraction of it. The normal advice is to choose either East or West and then choose a base.

The East of the Island would include the Greek and Roman ruins in Siracusa, the historical towns of Noto, Modica and Ragusa. For ancient ruins and stunning scenery combined it is difficult to beat Taormina.

The Western side includes three Greek Temple sites at Agrigento, Selinunte and Segeste. All are special in their own way. Add to the Palermo itself and the cathedrals at Monreale and Cefalú.

In the misddle of the Island is Piazza Armerina - some of the greatest Roman mosaics anywhere in the world, and worth the two hour trip from Siracusa/Palermo just to see them.

This doesn't begin to touch on the Smaller Islands off of the coast.

Have a great time. I spent two weeks on Sicily in 2005, and plan to go back as soon as possible - there is so much I still wish to see.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Here is a good start. Do not miss the link to the photo gallery.
http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=634
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Hi pkr,
We loved Sicily but spent 3 1/2 weeks there. Here is the posting of my husband's extensive journal. We traveled from Palermo east around the island. Maybe you can see what interests you most. There is so much history there. lillit's advice is good, choose a side. Have fun. http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34650850
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM

I agree with 8 days, you need to pick a half of the island; East or West.
I've been twice-East coast the first time, West coast the second. Palermo both times (a must!) but you won't need the car once you get there.
My travelogue might give you some ideas:
http://www.wired2theworld.com/sicily2003.html
In terms of structuring the trip, what interests you specifically? For me it was food, so our trip was geared toward cooking classes and markets with the Greek ruins thrown in for "culture".
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:34 AM

I agree with the east-west choice. We spent 8 days in Sicily - 3 days in Palermo, 1 day in Agrigento, 1 day at Piazza Armerina and 3 days in Taormina.

We absolutely loved everything and I would love to return if there weren't so many other things on the list.

We had a car from the time we left Palermo until we arrived in Taormina. Driving provided the opportunity to see beautiful things along the route. The interior of Sicily on the drive from Agrigento through Piazza Armerina to Taormina was lovely.

The Sicily experience is fabulous. The food, the people, the scenery, the variety of cultural influences can't be matched.

Whether you decide on the east or the west, include Palermo. I absolutely loved the city and don't, whatever you do, miss Monreale. It was one of my favorite experiences in Sicily. Taormina is very relaxing and the scenery is beautiful. If you're lucky, you will see an erupting Mt. Etna.

I hope you have a wonderful trip - keep us posted on your planning.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 06:03 AM

depends on which airport your are flying to( catania ,palermo?) if you start from catania I would suggest :
Siracusa ,Taormina, Etna ,Agrigento Piazza Armerina.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 01:24 PM
amf

I would just add Noto to Sicilyforever's list. It is a small town destroyed at one point by an earthquake. The town was rebuilt completely in the Baroque style, which makes it uniquely uniform.
Read The Leopard by Lampedusa and then visit one of the palaces open to the public in Noto. You will feel as if you were transported to a scene in the book.
Have a great time!