Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
More Roman Ruins fouind in Paris

http://tinyurl.com/mek3f
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very cool. Looks like they're fairly viewable from the street - hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look when I'm in Paris later this week. Cigale, do you have any idea where the location is relative to the Sorbonne? Should I start on r. St. Jacques at Place St. Michel and hope to find it?

On a related note:
"Tombs Found at China Olympic Site"
(via AP)
http://tinyurl.com/nj6ll

However, there is "no information on how the discovery would affect construction." And the article says that although archeological finds are frequently discovered during building construction, "most are removed or destroyed before experts can examine them." SO different from France!
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:41 AM

An article I read said that once they checked these ruins out, the construction of the new building will proceed, with no preservation planned.
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Yes that seemed to be what Cigale's article was saying too. The difference is that the French now have a system where the archeologists are allowed in for a certain amount of time prior to building: "[The] team started digging at the beginning of March and must be finished by June 30, when the construction work on a new research building starts again."
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM

They are giving guided tours of the dig on May 13 from 10 to 12 and from 2 to 5. Meet at 193, rue Saint-Jacques.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:34 PM

Ooh, Toupary, merci bien! I'd love to do that, and as I haven't made much of an itinerary, it'll fit right in! Do you know if they take all comers, or first-come-first-served, or need to make reservations?

This is making me feel a bit better after being so sad when I found out the Orangerie is reopening the exact same day I leave (I'd love to revisit it for sentimental reasons).
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:57 AM

If you can make the guided tour, that is good (even though I'm sure it will be in French).

That site is described near the former convent of the Visitation and I think belongs to the university Curie. First, rue St Jacques doesn't intersect with place St Michel. However, that part of rue St Jacques is not near the Seine, anyway, it's the southern part where a lot of convents were and where that university has some land. I would start at rue Soufflot and go south, I imagine the site is between rue des Fossees St Jacques and rue des Feuillantines.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM

oh, no you do not need to make reservations for the tour. It is a public tour by the archeological research institute doing the work (INRAP).
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:12 AM

Thanks Christina! I do know that r. St-Jacques doesn't intersect Pl. St-Michel; that was a poor choice of words, probably typing too fast... Your explanation helps a lot in any case, and I'm glad to know I don't need a reservation. I'm hoping by Saturday (the 3rd day of my trip) my French will be back to some semblance of fluency, so hopefully I'll understand something of what they're saying.

Coincidentally, for some reason the only art history class I took during my year abroad in Paris was Greek & Roman Archeology! You'd think I would have opted for Impressionism or something - but there I was in a large auditorium of Univ. de Paris IV, learning the elements of Roman columns and other artifacts tout en français... Maybe some of that will reemerge from the depths of my brain, too!

Thanks again for all your help.
Old May 9th, 2006, 09:37 AM

oh, well, that sounds like fun, then. I sometimes take tours in foreign languages I don't know well, anyway, if it's the only choice -- at least you get to see the site which is often the main thing you want. I'm sure you've been there, but you would probably also enjoy the ruins around the Musee Cluny (and in them).
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:42 PM

I agree that seeing something even if I don't understand the language is preferable to not seeing it - I'll let you know how this goes!

I'd like to revisit Cluny, I'm thinking in conjunction with seeing these "new" Roman ruins, since it's in the vicinity. My BF will probably go into ancient history overload! But I'll just remind him how patiently I will have waited in line at Notre Dame so that he can climb the stairs...
Old May 12th, 2006, 07:53 AM

We're leaving for Paris in 4 days and wonder if anyone knows the address of the newly discovered Roman ruins.

For anyone unfamiliar with mappy.com and ratp.fr, I've enjoyed mapping out our walks on Mappy and our trips to various sights via Metro or RER using ratp.fr.

I've discovered that we are closer to many sights than I had imagined. And using ratp.fr, I've found the best routes, often avoiding the need to change metros in the busiest stations.

Unfortunately, it looks as tho there will be several days of rain next week.
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Rue St Jaques.
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM

gramzy, this entire thread is about the location of those ruins. It was discussed in detail. There will not be just one address for them as they are larger than one point (and they don't have an address right now, exactly, being torn up ground -- it is larger than the size of a single house, for example). The address given for the meeting point for the tour (noted above) should work for you to get a map, but if you have a map of Paris, it is south of rue Soufflot on rue St Jacques, as noted above.