Advice for Jewish Quarter needed

Apr 26th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Advice for Jewish Quarter needed

My mother and I have a day to tour the Jewish Quarter and Municipal House. We have made reservations at the Municipal House for 3:00, but need to pick up our tickets by 2:30. I've read good things about the Wittman Tour of the Jewish Quarter, but it's a 3-hour tour, starting at 10:30, which wouldn't give us much time in between tours. Can anyone recommend a good, shorter or earlier tour of the Jewish Quarter so we won't be as rushed? If we have more time, we'd like to try and squeeze in lunch at The Municipal House. If time doesn't allow that, any recommendations for a quick place to eat nearby? We leave on Monday!! (Can't believe it.)
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Laurie
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Jed

City, country?
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

I've posted this on the Czech Republic site. Prague.
Laurie
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:39 AM

There are no country "sites," all posts go into the one regional forum (Europe, Asia, etc.) The "country" specification box is for searches only.
May 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM

You can do a good tour on your own in the Jewish Quarter. You buy a ticket that gets you into all the places and you can learn alot just by going in. Use the DK tour book and it will teach you alot as you go. When you have one of these tickets, you just walk right into all the buildings and only stand on line the one time you buy it.
May 11th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Syl

Absolutely don't need a tour.Josefov is a small area.Google search "Jewish Prague" & you'll be fine.
May 11th, 2006, 05:21 PM

no tour needed...you can do the quarter by yourselves...any good guide book (for example, Lonely Planet) will explain the so-called "precious Legacy" tour of Josefov...don't miss the one-of-a-kind cemetary.
Stu T.
May 11th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Stu,

"So-called"?
May 11th, 2006, 07:32 PM

Well, maybe so called is right. My wife worked for the organization that brought the Precious Legacy exhibit to the US and helped arrange for the precious legacy exhibit at the Smithsonian some years ago so, she was very excited with the anticipation of seeing the items in their "natural habitat" in Prague. Sadly, there was barely a trace of the exhibit items.
May 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Wen47 and Syl have a good assessment of the area. If you are comfortable showing yourself around and refering to a guide book, that is the way to go. We spent a day walking around the Jewish Quarter in March and found we did not need a guide if you were well read and prepared. DK guides have good local street maps. If you feel you need a guided tour there are lots to choose from and I'm sure Wittman will fill your needs. Only problem I have found with guided tours is you must follow their schedules and not your own. The Jewish Cemetery can be done in a few minutes or nearly an hour depending on your level of interest. Have a wonderful trip.
May 12th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Guy...I am referring to the Precious Legacy tour that Basingstroke eplains above...he's right...only a few of the items (documents, scrolls, religious and domestic articles, photographs, etc)that showed all over the USA can still be found in the venues within Josefov...even though, for years, the exhibits in Josefov's buildings were always referred to as The Precious Legacy...I devoted an entire chapter in one of my recent historical novels to the Prague (Praha) of the early 1900's (c.1904), and did extensive on-site research to describe the Josefov district of that pre-Holocaust era.
Stu T.