More questions about being robbed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read all the suggestions on the earlier board, but still would like some feedback. The general message seems to be: be on guard, be on guard! I'm curious exactly how these thefts took place. Mugged at the hotel check in counter? Weren't there lots of people around?

I've seen purse's w/ cable through the arm, do many thefts take place by cutting the purse or backpack strap?

Thanks!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:54 PM

My sister says that her purse was on her lap when it was stolen. A nice young man pretending to be a waiter asked us, "How is your dinner?" then disappeared around a corner--with her purse. This was at an outdoor restaurant.

I carry a large purse on my shoulder, but there's nothing important in it. Nevertheless, I keep it on the side away from the street. I've traveled a lot, and I always keep everything valuable in my money belt.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Hi redwoodcitymom,

I don't think you have to be alarmed. Travel to any major city, be it NY, London, or Paris requires a traveller to be somewhat more aware than at home, for the simple reason that nefarious people in those locations know that there is a huge tourist influx year round, so they can assume that: some/most will stand-out, and these ones will be less at ease than at home, so can be perhaps "softer" targets than the locals.

That being said, it would NOT be correct to assume that there are hordes of unshaven, sullen youths, leaning against walls, swiggin on beer bottles, eyeing the tourists going by. Don't worry. Don't believe media reports. Do believe first hand reports, like you will read here. Crime, in general, is even lower in europe than N.A.

I've been over to europe over 10 times, with nothing ever happening, nothing at all suspicious.

I carry everything I can on me, in zippered pockets if possible. No jewelry, no fancy watch, nothing that would say to someone...he's got cash.No backpack, no camera bag. I carry my map in an inside pocket, so in essence I walk down the street with both hands free.

I hope to blend in, not attract any attention.

Mike
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:02 PM

If you have your valuables (my standard is anything that would cost $100 or take more than 20 minutes to replace) in a place where the opportunist thief cannot reach, you can feel safe to ride the subway or gawk in wonder at the Eiffel Tower or the Colosseum. Unless you decide to avoid those sights just because that's where thieves usually find easy pickings. With your passport, tickets, spare credit cards and extra cash in the hotel safe or an under-the-clothing pouch of some kind, the worst that could happen is you lose 50E to a pickpocket. I would not like to experience that, but I'd keep right on enjoying my holiday without the need to spend an afternoon in the consulate or the police station or on the phone trying to reach banks back home.
Also, I think the kind of theft that happens at hotel registration is the quick grab of a bag set on the floor, not a mugging where the thief wrestles the bag out of the visitor's hands.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:18 PM

The hotel thefts in the lobby tend to be by very well-dressed busy looking people. they can be walking around pretending to chat on their cell phone, and suddenly, something is missing and that person is gone, or has passed the stolen item to another accomplice.

i am not familiar with forced robberies but believe they are happening near metro exits, or along quiet streets.

purse snatching, camera snatching, etc. will just happen when you accidentally put your item on the table, floor or the chair next to you and get distracted.

this will not take more than a few seconds, and it is over, leaving you in awe of how it ocurred.

it is difficult to comprehend as we would never think of doing it, nor most of us realize how EASY IT IS.

but as another poster mentioned on another thread.. i see thievery possibilities daily, at airports, sidewalk cafés, and sometimes it is so obvious i even tell the person to take care.

one easy to understand example: a tourist is looking at a post card twirly stand.. for minutes on end.. see where their purse is.. usually over the shoulder, but towards the back.. never in the front.

just start paying attention and you will become alert to how easy it would be to accidentally rub/push against that person, and two or three more accomplices eventually take the wallet out.

but above all.. donīt let this put you off of venturing outside your safety zone at home. just take care, as losing documents and ccīs overseas is much more hassle than in your home town.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM

It isn't just tourist that can have a problem.

My SIL, born, raised and who lived his early adult life in Rome was back home visiting. He had his cellphone attached to his belt, on his left side. He was walking with friends in a very nontouristy section of Rome. He was walking on the curb side. Some fellows came by on their Vespas and before he knew what happened they had removed his cellphone and quickly drove away. And my SIL is a very "street smart" Roman..but as he has said "not that evening!".
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I saw this girl on the NYC subway one day with her boyfriend (I assume), obvously tourists because they had maps out. Her wallet was literally hanging out of her bag. I was tempted to reach forward, take it, and hand it to her to show how inviting it was.

I did tap her on the shoulder and told her she should probably hide it away, and she was of course a bit mortified. But people! common sense!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Hi, I do not wish to sound like an expert only because they robbed us the other day in Madrid. Nothing terribly important, a few euros and a drivers licence was the worst. But it was disgusting!!!
But I wish to add this,

1) they have other modus opperandi, to those mention by lin casanova, I wish to add, they might try to steal from your room too.Unless it has became out of fashion... once ages ago they got inside of our room in Pensione Tournabuoni in Florence, they only stole travel checks while I must have been sleeping and my husband in the shower.
The nerve!! so another good advice is, if you have a belt,passaport or any value either put them in the safe or do not leave them hanging around.
Also think that they can strike in any place, it does not have to be one of the areas that are branded dangerous. ( In a way our recent mistake we more careless because were robbed in a non touristic place and that was the reason we were not alert.)
It is important how you look. The day we were robbed I guess we must have look too well dressed.
( And also just buy looking at us they must have known that we were in the MOON) You are in danger of pickpockets or been pushed and surrounded in any place crowded or uncrowded it doesn t matter, they will come suddenly.
One in front bending as if he had dropped something the others around you. One from behind. You will have no room to move and they will most likely get you.
Of course I will go again to Europe anytime. I shall continue with my usual atittude of leaving everything in the hotel safe. And if I have to carry my goods I would put them in an inside belt as I do always. Under the cloth.
I guess you are vulnerable in hotels that have a line to check in or check out, because they know that most likely you do not have anything in any safe box.
Also I remember someone told me to have noticed a well dressed man stealing something from some one in a crowded Harrods elevator in London, my brother in law was robbed in a line in the Post Office, Rue du Louvre in Paris. The stories go on and on.
I am under the impression that the late movements of peoples from country to country inside the European Common Market has not helped matters. This people with or without legal papers seem to pop up in many places as I have seen it and been told by my European friends. Even in Checoeslovaquia!
In Spain many told us horror stories. Also in little towns.
Speaking of being robbed inside a hotel room, a couple of years back while we were staying in Mexico City at Hotel Majestic, in Plaza Mayor, they
broke in several rooms. Rooms had safety cards fixtures, but they broke the door around them.
Fortunatelly we had all our belongings in our belt while we were dining in the same hotel.
To finish this unpleasant list of possibilities also they might cut a tire of your car, wait the time when you will change the tire, while someone offers helps and distracts you the other guys will empty your trunck.

I am sure there are other ways of action, i believe it is good that we talk about them so people can be alert.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Graziella5b. I feel much more prepared if have some specifics. I'm definitely going to get a room alarm. I'll be traveling w/ my 13 year old daughter. I've always traveled w/ friends or my husband, so this will be the 1st time I'm IT. My daughter is so beautiful, but trained in self defense.

Any other examples will help. Do the thieves talk w/ you or just grab and run?
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:32 PM

I think most of this concern is blown way out of proportion. Grantd, every city has dicey ares that you need to stay away from. But in most places you just ned to follow the same rules you would in the US - just basic awareness of what's going on around you/who is where and don;t et go of your stuff. (How can someone walkk off with your purse if it's in your lap? In any case you should always (everywhere) keep the strap of your purse around your anke so no one can take it.

It seems to me that a lot of people don;t take even the most basic precautions (like leaving something showing in your car - who would do that anywhere - even parked in front of their house?), walk around confused and looking half dazed and setting thing down at random - then are surprised when something is stolen from them.

If you are aware, alert and behave as if you know exactly what you're doing - you should have no trouble.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:49 PM

Hi ny traveler, what you are saying is what in my opinion and in the bad experience we had does not apply anymore.
You do not have to be in a dicey area, or in a bad subway station, like let us say Times Square, you can be ANYWHERE during the day or night , in any supposely safe place. This individuals ( and they are not in my experience youth gangs) they are grown ups, well dressed...would come around you, and all of a sudden block you, surround you. Push you from the front into the hands of the guy behind you, make you loose your equilibrium, and ...in a sec. they would take anything the can. I hope not the inside belt, but they might do even that.
I have been trying to point these facts out,
1)ANY PLCE
2)ANY TIME
I lived forteen years in NY and also felt invinsible, but not anymore.
As I said I believe that recent changes in Europe are helping to this sad state of affairs that only seems to get worse.

red wood mom, they can talk to you or not. Sometimes they talk to call your attention sometimes they only push you,block you.
Or if is an old fashioned pickpocket you will not even notice.....there are different modus operandi.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:12 PM

Well you can be in your own home city and have a problem.

A friend was having lunch with a co-worker at a well known restaurant chain out on their patio. Their table was against the four foot wall. The co-worker had her purse on her lap. On the other side of this wall was the parking lot. Suddenly a fellow was right there at the wall, yelled something like "HELLO" which made both women sort of jump so to speak and at the same time he reached over the wall and grabbed the co-workers purse from her lap and ran off.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 12:20 AM

wherever I am (not just on holiday) if I sit down for a meal somewhere public I put my bag down on the floor and put the chair leg through the handle of it before I sit down, then tuck the bag under the chair between my feet.

Likewise, if I'm in a crowded situation such as on the tube, I hold my bag firmly in front of me and don't just leave it swinging off my shoulder.

It's just common sense whereever you are.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 01:58 AM

Maybe this has been said before, but if you're at an ATM, and someone behind you points out that you dropped a 10 Euro note or something; ignore it. While you bend to pick it up, they take your card out of the ATM.
Also, don't let your card out of your sight when paying for something.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:09 AM

Robberies can happen anywhere, anytime. I know because when I lived in Boston I came home from work one day to a door that had been chopped down and all my valuables, including grandmother's inherited jewelry gone.

But since my father died in my arms on October 19, 2005 my whole attitude has changed. If I get robbed, I get robbed. It's just stuff. Inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Not a tragedy, that's for sure.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:04 AM

i like hanging my bag on the tabel edge with one of these clever "hangers" you can pick up for about 2 euros most places here. It is like a "hook" and has a flat piece that holds it onto the table.

works great as it doesnīt let bag get dirty and also hangs easily between your legs out of sight and reach .

maybe we should market a FODORS one???
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:06 AM
ira

Hi R,

>I'm definitely going to get a room alarm.

Don't bother.

Thieves break in during the daytime, when you are out of your room.

>do many thefts take place by cutting the purse or backpack strap?

Mostly, pickpockets undo your purse or backpack and remove things.

I wouldn't put anything that I wouldn't want to lose in a backpack .

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:08 AM
ira

PS,

>Mugged at the hotel check in counter?

Where did you hear about that?

My wife was once mugged in the parking lot of a restaurant about 1 mi from home by someone who stole her purse.

The police got him.

The judge gave him 1 year probation.

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:13 AM

In Oct 2005, I had my small wallet taken from my buttoned shirt pocket by a female pickpocket on the metro in Rome. She was GOOD! Pushed right in front of me and got it while I was looking at her. Lost on 50E since I had most of my money in an under the clothes.
In Sept 2006, someone got my camera from my backpack in Rome... don't know how and only know it was between 11:30 am and 5:30 pm. I suspect it was on Bus 64 or at the Pantheon.
My sister was walking with a colleague in Barcelona and a guy behind her cut her purse shoulder strap with poultry shears and ran off.