More Paris restaurant questions. . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan dinners at some nice, not splurge,typical Parisian restaurants with good food for my upcoming trip with my sister-in-law, her first time to Paris.
I'm thinking of Le Florimond, La Fontaine de Mars, Chez Julien, and L'Auberge de la Reine Blanche. I've never been to any of these except AdlRB. Are these enough of a cross section of eating experiences for a first-timer, who would not necessarily want "cutting edge" food, etc.; if not, any suggestions? Also, could I probably make reservations when we get to Paris for these instead of doing it from US?
More advice requested: is Le Train Bleu better for just a drink in the afternoon than for a meal? Really just going to see the decor and have heard that the food is not special, yet expensive.

To kick it up a notch, would Le Violon d'Ingres be a good place to do it? Other suggestions?

Thank you for any input!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:23 AM

We were at Le Florimond again last week and it has not changed. We will go back again on our next trip to Paris. It would be a good choice. You should reserve but do it after you arrive. Two other restaurants worth considering in the 7th are Maupertu (94 blvd de la Tour Maubourg) about the same price range and style as Florimond but to our taste not quite at the same level and Le Bellecour (22 r. Surcouf). The latter is costlier, approx. 105-120 euro for two four courses dinners including wine. The style is Lyonnais - highly recommended and reservations should be made. We had no problems with that last week. Good luck.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I like the food at Le train Bleu. Been stopping there since I started reading one of my favorite writers, MFK Fisher years ago.
If anyone has seen the French film, La femme Nikita, there's a shoot out scene filmed there.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:33 AM

I think le Violon d'Ingres is WONDERFUL.
Food is contemporary, but not at all strange. Service excellent.

Chez Julien is more traditional, no one could call it innovative, but it is reliable, very good, moderate in price, and very cozy.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you; these replies are just what I was looking for; keep them coming, please.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:46 AM

In all my visits to Paris and France, I have never had a bad meal and I have never tried to eat anywhere "special" - just wander the streets till you see something that strikes your fancy and go on in. Or, ask at your hotels where "locals" eat. The fixed price meals many offer (price depends on # courses and there's not a lot of selection but who cares?) make things even easier!!! We have had everything from fondue to Chinese food and never been disappointed (except, perhaps, by smoking but that is a whole other story). If the weather is fine, try to sit outside and enjoy the sights! Have fun........
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Hi grandmere,
We too love Le Florimond and find it just doesn't miss in any respect, and it delivers a really good value. I'm sure you'll love it.
A second to Maupertu and to La Fontaine de Mars (good for Sun. eve), and also Le Bellecour, which also serves a very reasonable (for a 1 Michelin star) 28 euro formule (2 courses) at lunch besides the 44 euro menu. We wish we would have chosen it for our New Years Eve extravaganza (78 euros) rather than Chez l'Ami Jean, which has been taken over by the former sous chef of La Regalade.

Others we like very much in the 7th:

L'Affriole (19 lunch/30 dinner)-terrific value

Clos des Gourmets (23 and 27 lunch, 30 dinner)

Au Bon Accueil (25 lunch/29 dinner)

Nabuchodonosor (18,80 lunch 29/35 dinner)

tiny Le P'tit Troquet (28 menu), although the last time we were there on a Mon. night, we found an entirely an English speaking crowd, probably because it was a Mon.`-but delicious meal.

We've been eating our way through the Hamburgers' "Bistros of Paris". We added a couple of new ones in the 11th in Jan, but also this one, which is a nice walk from the Place de Breteuil.:

Bistrot d'Hubert in the 15th-charming decor, open country kitchen, cozy, warm, refined, very friendly and a splendid meal (41 menu for dinner).

Another we won't miss next time (couldn't fit it in):
"Le Petit Laurent" in the 7th on Rue de Varenne, which offers a lovely, elegant setting and a lunch menu of 3 courses, 2 glasses of wine for 29 euros.

(We went "dining value-hunting" on this trip!)

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:06 AM

We're very fond of Au Petit Marguery, in the 13th. Very much a classic bistro; the food is wonderful, and the service by long-time waiters is excellent. Every time we've eaten there it feels as though all our fellow diners are having a really good time.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 08:29 AM

I have had lunch at Auberge de la Reine Blanche and had a wonderful meal. According to the menu the evening meals were more expensive. I would go back again. They do have a web site: www.aubergedelareineblanche.com

About 5 years ago a French friend of mine from Chablis took me to a restaurant a few blocks behind the new opera at Bastille that I though was an excellent value and an exceptionally creative menu. 23 Euro for a three course meal. They serve a lunch and open again for dinner at 7:30. This restaurant was noted in the Paris issue of the Bon Appetite magazine a couple years ago. Not many tourists are aware of this place, but it is busy and I would recommend you have reservations. In my opinion I would rate this higher than Auberge de la Reine Blanche.

La Table d'Aligre
11, Place d'Aligre
75012 Paris
01 43 07 84 88
Metro: Ledru-Rollin

I eat at La Table d'Aligre at least once on every trip to Paris.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM

I had dinner at the following restaurant and it was excellent. The sidewalk tables were already reserved (we just dropped by) but got a table just inside the picture window. The food was good, the waiter was very friendly, the dessert was terrific. Not over-priced.

Le Bistro du 7eme on La Tour-Maubourg
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 05:39 PM

A vote for le Violon d'Ingres , we ate there 18 months ago and the food was superb, the sommelier selected the perfect wine and the service was polite and professional. A dining experience. But in Australian terms Bloody expensive....oh well life is short !
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 12:52 AM

I just learned something interesting yesterday. Violon d'Ingres is a french phrase for hobby that originated from the fact that the artist Ingres had a passion for playing the violin.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 04:39 AM

yes, and the restaurant owner Christian Constant is from the same home town as Ingres.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the recommendations; they sound like just the type of place that I'm looking for. I'll take the list and then pick and choose when we get there, depending upon availability, location, etc.
Interesting bit about origin of Le Violon d'Ingres!

wpcx2, I've done what you're suggesting and that's fine, but I wanted to go to some places that I've been reading about on here. Last trip I went to Chez Maitre Paul, which was highly touted at the time yet seems to have fallen by the wayside in Fodorite eyes, or at least not mentioned much recently; places change. I thought it was fine, but not special enough to return to with all the places available. I especially want my sister-in-law to have memorable and enjoyable dining experiences in Paris--good, affordable food in settings that are typical of the wonderful city.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:42 AM

The Constants recently opened a smaller operation, Café Constant, in the same area. I've heard lots of good things about it.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM

And our favorite bistro, in the 13th, is Au Petit Marguery. Every time we go there it's clear that the other diners too are having a wonderful time enjoying the food.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:52 AM

I must add my vote for Violon Dingres, that has been recommended so many times by travellers. I understand they have opened a second place.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 05:12 AM

Just have a look on this adress!
http://www.restaurant-maupertu-paris.com/