Le Florimond Restaurant - Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just got back from Paris last week and a BIG thank you to all who recommended Le Florimond Restaurant in the 7th Arr.

It was closed on the Sun. night but luckily we got in without a reservation on the Monday. What a treat! We had a wonderful meal - Beef Moutarde for me - fantastic. It is just a short walk from the Rue Cler so very handy to hotels in that area. I highly recommend it - but you really should reserve ahead.

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 12:02 PM

Yes, reserve ahead at least a day. It is our favorite restaurant. Glad you saw it and enjoyed it.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Sandyyeh, We spent a wonderful evening dinning there this past June. The food and the waiters were wonderful. Great memories.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

By the way, did anyone order the Boeuf Moutarde? It was fantastic but I have a question about its presentation. I would like to make it and have looked at several recipes and none show presentation the way Le Florimond did it. It was served with a wonderful dark mustardy gravy and about a 2" high wedge of thinly sliced scalloped potatoes. Also, they also brought a side tray that included a miniature Le Crueset dutch oven (the bright orange enamelled cast iron ones). I have a large one but this one was only about 3" in diameter. When I took the lid off there was a sizzling little beef stew in it with carrots, beef and onions. As the Boeuf Moutard was a large filet mignon, the beef stew as a side dish seemed odd. It was fabulous but I'm just curious about this little addition to the meal. Maybe I should write Bon Appetit and get them to get the recipe for me.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:18 AM

Can anyone recommend a couple restaurants in that area as good as Le Florimond? Please do not include La Fontaine de Mars. I know it is often recommended here but we had a very unpleasant experience there, our food was exteremly dissapointing.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:33 AM

Sorry about Fontaine de Mars. I'd give it another chance--our meal (seared foie gras for me and cassoulet for husband) was outstanding. Others
Bistrot du 7eme-59 Blvd.Latour-Mauborg is the bargain central!!Prix fixe 16E--good wines
Le Clos des Gourmets-Av. Rapp (maybe 18?)
Les Olivades - 41 av. Segur-new management, better service
Le Petit Troquet--rue de l'Exposition
Auberge de Champs Mars-rue de l'Exposition--very inexpensive,good, but not great.
Le Terrasse--brasserie at the Ecole Militaire Metro stop.
L'Affriole--rue Malar
Have heard recommendations for the bistro across the street from Fontaine de Mars--something like Bistro du Sel.
Do not go to the Bistro de Papa just up the street from La Terrasse--really attitudinal waiters.Just not worth the hassle.
Our disappointing meal was at Thomieux, also much recommended, especially for cassoulet--ours was very poor.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 04:56 AM

Gretchen, agree with you about Bistrot de Papa. We went there once and it's not a place we would visit again. For good food and waiters with a good attitude, we liked Le Suffren on the Ave. Suffren by the Champ de Mars. Technically, it's in the 15th, but it's a short walk from the rue Cler area.
What's the exact address for Florimond?
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 06:26 AM

Le Florimond is at 19 av. LaMotte-Picquet. It is almost at the head of rue Cler, a block from Ecole Militaire Metro. The owner is the chef and he is charming--will explain all the dishes in English if you need it. Small neat place.