More Cinque Terre questions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We can't quite decide between villages in Cinque Terre.
I'll tell you all what we like, then maybe you can help?
We like our "home base" to be in a location where we can relax with some nice wine or lemoncello, preferrably on our own private patio or terrace, at the end of our day out exploring the area. We do like to be close to public transport, bus, ferry, etc, but don't mind walking, either. We don't need a place with lots of night life, but wouldn't mind being within walking distance of a couple of decent restaurants.
We definetly want a clean hotel with air conditioning and private bathroom. After that the priority is the location with a nice view.
We are leaning toward Vernazza and like the looks of La Mala. Although the price is a little more than we had planned.Can anyone tell me if there is a terrace for each room or if its a common one?
So---any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM

I'm going in about two weeks. I booked just recently; a lot of recommended places were booked or too expensive for me. I'd probably prefer Monterosso al Mare although Vernazza sounds beautiful.

So I am booked at a place in Levanto, which is just NW of Monterosso al Mare and the five villages. It's an easy train ride into the villages and fits my other criteria.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 05:41 AM

We stayed in Riomaggiore - we found it to be less commercial and touristy than the other villages. However, the CT is so gorgeous that no matter where you stay will be superb!

You will truly find it memorable and lovely.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:21 AM

After perusing this board, the general or popular consensus is usually Vernazza or Monterosso.

We're staying at La Mala in a couple weeks. That was a slam dunk for us. Especially watching the sunset/rise on their gorgeous stone deck. If you view the Tripadvisor.com comments and candid photos, I think you'll be sold (if you're willing to pay the price).

If you decide on Monterosso, another Fodorite recommended this place which looks very clean and is priced right.
Arpaiu
http://www.arpaiu.com/english.html

Enjoy!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:23 AM

at La Mala: the stone terrace is large and is a common one. There are only 5 rooms at the inn. From the comments I read at Tripadvisor...many couples had the deck to themselves.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:25 AM

It's early and I'm still asleep.

Correction: Arpaiu is in MANAROLA, not Monterosso.

Sorry.....
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:17 AM
kja

I believe that La Torretta in Manarola has some rooms with private terraces; it definitely has one that guests can share. And it has STUNNING views. Enjoy!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:26 AM
SRS

We like Monterosso or Vernazza best as far as the towns themselves go. I think Vernazza is the cutest and Monterosso has the best beach area.

I looked at La Mala for our stay this past August, but we decided to stay at Arpaiu instead (it is in Manarola) as the price is great and so are the rooms (it was our second stay with Arpaiu). However, La Mala looks very very nice - I just couldn't justify it.

I would stay in whichever town you found the right hotel for you. Seriously it is easy to get between the towns. And you can find great food everywhere.

I probably wouldn't pick Corniglia because I wouldn't like the hike up from the train station every time I came and went.

Anyway, have a great trip!
Sally
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM

Hey Sally (SRS),

YOU were the very one who turned us onto these great places. Grazie!
Both look like such finds. We're doing La Mala next month and can't wait.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:26 PM
SRS

adventureseeker - I think you made a great choice! La Mala looks spectacular. Please do report back - I meant to check it out while we in the CT last month, but totally forgot!

Sally
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.
To those of you traveling to Vernazza soon, please post ASAP and let us know how La Mala was and any other advice is welcome.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Klapenta,

FYI: there is a new post on Tripadvisor about La Mala with photos that show the terrace in size and also the inn from the sea. Now I have a better sense how it is laid out.