Places to stay in Vernazza, Cinque Terre

Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Places to stay in Vernazza, Cinque Terre

My wife and I will be in the Cinque Terre region of Italy and were wondering if anyone knows of any good and affordable (preferrably under 100 euros/night) places to stay in Vernazza.
Ideally, it will be a quiet place with a nice view and a clean (private) bathroom.
Any ideas are appreciated!
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Has anyone here stayed in Vernazza?
Thanks.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:27 PM

Author: zoecat
Date: 02/13/2008, 12:56 pm
Try La Mala, located in my favorite town of the 5, Vernazza-

http://www.lamala.it/en/index.html

not sure it's in your range but check it out

i ditto zoecat's recommendation of Vernazza being the nicest to me of all the very nice 5 Lands - i just visited each one a few weeks back

I know diddily about hotels however as i day tripped in from Florence
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

La Mala looks absolutely beautiful. That is the kind of place that we would like to stay at but a bit above our price range. Thanks though PalenQ!

I have heard that, when staying in the Cinque Terre, it is best to simply show up and walk around to find places as many do not have websites...

Can anyone attest to that?
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM

That worked for me in 2003, and that was over the May Day holiday. Often, several B&B reps will greet people as they get off the train, hoping to get their business. That's how I got mine last time.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM

Try www.elisabettacarro.it - ask for a room with a terrace.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM

depending on when you go just showing up will be a big problem - it gets very busy there in the summer.

la mala is supposed to be very nice, but we weren't able to get a reservation. we stayed at gianni franzi - which you will read mixed reviews about.

we actually really enjoyed our stay there. and it was pretty reasonably priced...

the best thing is that you intend to stay in vernazza... easily my favorite of the towns. it was amazing how after only about two days we felt like locals...

good restaurants too - gambero rosso (not the famous 3 star place) in vernazza is very good, but the best place we found was ciak in montorosso - the gnocchi al pesto was excellent.

have a great trip - i love it there.

Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM

well thank zoecat but thanks for your thanks

as to your question - it depends on the season - in summer you may have trouble finding anything on the spot - off season some places may be closed for lack of business

i noticed prominent signs when there a few weeks back warning about folks approaching tourists with unauthorized lodging - i do not know much about that but perhaps there are budget places available off the radar

i think it seems there are more budget places in Monterosso and Riomaggiore - the two bigger towns that are more easily accessible by car

hopefully someone more knowledgeable about accommodations will respond
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

My wife and I will be arriving on March 31 and staying until April 4.

I don't think that should be the busiest time there, right?
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:26 PM

I stayed at Riomaggiore in a studio apartment through "A Casa" www.acasa5terre.it/ Claudio was very helpful and the room was very clean, basic but wonderful for location, view and atmosphere. He also has accommodation at Vernazza. I would stay there again and would also choose Vernazza as a base out of the 5 towns. Cinque Terre is amazing, loved the scenery, the walk, the food and especially watching the sunsets on the sea (I live on the east coast of Australia so dont get to see those)
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM
blh

We stayed in a room in Vernazza rented by Giuliano Basso. There are three rooms that share a balcony and the view of the harbor. It's only 65€ a night which is quite reasonable. Lots of winding steps up the side of the hill, however.
http://www.cdh.it/giuliano/
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:55 PM

You don't mention time of year, but I would think that you could jsut pop in and get a room most any time of the year - we stayed in Albergo Barbara, but the 8 story climb every day is really the pits, so I wouldn't recommend it - but saw lots of places all aroound town. Have a great time and enjoy the pesto sauce - it's the best.
Leslie
Mar 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM

Take a look at www.mike-franca.com. We didn't stay there but took a look around when they were cleaning between guests. It has a nice terrace and large room with kitchen.
Don't remember the price, but know at the time it seemed very reasonable. Our best meal was at Sandro's - delicious pasta with walnut sauce.
Have a great time.