Montpellier - hotel near train to BCN

Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Montpellier - hotel near train to BCN

Hello Fodorites. (Peter are you there?!)

I would like to find a hotel for less than 100USD near the train station in Montpellier with connections to BCN. I have a car from AutoEurope to drop off on Sunday night and would like to stay within walking distance, maybe 10 minutes. When I made the reservation for the car, there were four boxes to choose from regarding drop-off point, all having to do with the railway station. I figured I could modify the drop-off point later. So, now I am wondering which I should choose or even if these are different choices. (Sorry if I seem silly, but these look the same to me!)

Montpellier Gare Tgv
Place Auguste Gibert

Montpellier Tgv Station
Gare De Montpellier

Thanks in advance!
Mar 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM

Unless it has changed in the last couple of years, it is all the same station, but I do know there was a lot of constructin going on at the station then, so maybe they have a separate TGV area now. We stayed in Montpelier at the Hotel du Midi. It was just under $100, but that was a couple years ago. We rolled our luggage right up the street from the front of the station and then turned left before reaching the main square. It couldn't have been a 10 minute walk. It was nothing grand, but nice, and also convenient to the rest of the city.
Mar 2nd, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Patrick. That sounds like what we need.

Construction...argh....
Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:42 AM

The renovation of the station is virtually finished now.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 03:11 AM

I also reccomend Hotel du Midi, its right on the square, and when i was their in Jan they were remodeling and the owner gave us a "old" room with was really nice, they have a lift, and a breakfast which was 10 eueros, but it was really nice
Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you MorganB. Perhaps all will be well when we arrive. I always seem to move into a town when the airport or main roadway is under construction and then move away as soon as it's complete!

illusion321 - I looked at that hotel last night and it's very nice. Reasonable too. The map shows the SNCF rail station nearby and I am assuming that is where we'll catch the train to BCN, right? SNCF = TGV?
Mar 8th, 2004, 03:51 PM

the train station is not that far, and but the local tram line is very close, so if you have alot of luggage you can take the tram to the main station. I was lucky when i went because a freind of mine had liv ed their for 9 months while studying french, in fact i do not htink i would have even known of the palce unless she told me. Also their is a market near the hotel, and if you walk past the market and stay to your left you will come to a mall( a 15-20 min walk), which was the only mall the entire time i was in europe.
Mar 8th, 2004, 05:09 PM

By the way, Hotel du Midi is one of the few hotels I've ever stayed where they put me in a horrible room. I went back downstairs and asked if they had nicer rooms and they moved us to a beautiful room -- hard to believe both rooms were in the same hotel, so don't be afraid to speak up.