Search

Montorgueil neighbohood in Paris

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montorgueil neighbohood in Paris

Bonjour,
I am thinking of renting an apartment in this neighborhood this fall. Has anyone stayed in this area? Your experiences? The location looks great as do the photos on the web.
Merci!
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM

We love this street and stay there whenever we can.
Old May 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suzanne2. The apartment is located rue Dussoubs which runs parallel to Montorgueil (to the east l street). Sound familiar at all? I just want to be sure it's safe.
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM

I lived on Rue de turbigo for a little over a year, which is about a tenth of a mile on the away from rue dussoubs. As you have already, your are right next to the street market on rue motorgueil. There is a monoprix at the intersection of Réaumur-Sébastopol. Also at the intersection of Réaumur-Sébastopol is the metro station serving line 3 and line 4. Line 4 is a good north south line and line 3 is a solid east west line meaning you can get almost anywhere you would want to go in the city quick and easy. The neighborhood is safe, as is virtually any neighborhood in Paris proper.
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, MrNuke! I chose the neighborhood for a new experience since I always end up staying in the 7th. Now, I am so glad I did. It's a very small studio apt. and the price is so reasonable, I was thinking that maybe there's something I wasn't told about. With your reply and the very helpful email interchanges I've had with the owners,I feel much more confident.
Old May 19th, 2009, 06:32 PM

We stayed on Blvd. Sebastopol just about 1 year ago and were under a 5 minute walk to the Montorgueil Market. Visiting the market when it opened was my favorite part of the day. Be sure you stop at Stohrer's for your morning croissant and evening pastry. We also very much liked the Grill Montorgueil. Try the duck. I have photos of Rue Montorgueil at www.flickr.com/photos/basingstoke2/sets
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM

basingstoke2, you were too modest about YOUR wonderful shots! Bravo!
Old May 20th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm new to this forum and so glad to have discovered it. Thank you all so much for your replies!
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM

I think Stohrer's is wonderful but the little patisserie on the north end of the street is also very good and a little less expensive.

Bring a tote bag for your groceries.

Naneiben, you don't be put off, but be aware that Rue St. Denis is a red light area. On our first stay in the area we avoided that street all together. Now we walk there when we need to and consider it no big deal.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Good advise Suzanne, I agree that the patisserie on the north end of the street is very good. In fact, I think they are all good on Rue Montorgueil. One day we visited Rue Cler on a holiday and most of the shops were closed. We went back to Rue Montorgueil and it was business as usual.

Naneiben, if you are a Monet fan, look at his painting of Rue Montrorgueil before your trip. It will make visiting the market that much more meaningful.

There is a small buffet style restaurant in the market that offer excellent soups, salads and such for 7-9E. It is a good place for a quick lunch.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Oops - caught that one, make it "advice" to please the spelling police.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Excellent neighborhood.
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:35 PM

We spent a week in an apartment on rue de la Jussienne about two months ago. It was only a 5 minute walk to rue Montorgueil. We found that area to be a wonderful place to stay. There's a little Monop grocery store as well as two regular grocery stores on rue Montorgueil. There's also a lovely wine store, a cheese shop, a fishmonger, a Paul's boulangerie, several restaurants, the afore-mentioned Stohrer's, and many other stores. I fondly remember the little place that sold the rotisserie chickens (you can ask for a demi (half) chicken and be sure to buy some of those little roasted potatoes that are under the chickens.)

We found the food there to be so good that we usually ate a place there or else, bought food and brought it back to our apartment to prepare.

Like the previous poster mentioned, we liked rue Montogueil much better than rue Cler.

The rue Montorgueil area is very safe. The Sentier metro stop is right at the north end (close to the Starbuck's) and the Etienne Marcel metro stop is also close by. (You can use the Etienne Marcel stop to get to Gare du Nord which is where you can easily board the RER to get to/from the CDG airport.
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of your for your posts! This is very reassuring.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM

And inviting! Bookmarking.