Paris Montparnasse/Raspail neighborhood - information please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be renting an apartment near the Raspail Metro, on Passage d’Enfer. This is a neighborhood that is unfamiliar to me. I know that it is south of the Luxembourg Gardens in the 6th, near the 5th.

I would be grateful for any tips on nearby activities, walks, eateries, food markets, fruit stands, outdoor markets, other shops, favorite haunts, web sites that I can search, etc.

Thank you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 10:21 AM

Paris arrondisements aren't that large as a whole that you need to develop itineraries just for one arrondisement location rather than Paris in general, so don't worry about that. You can get other places in a few minutes by metro. That location isn't in the 6th, anyway, though, so you might get a better map or someone has misinformed you. That is right near Raspail metro, but that's in the 14th arrondisement.

Montparnasse cemetery is just across bd Raspail from that street, if you like checking out cemeteries. It's only a couple short blocks from place Denfert Rochereau, the Catacombs, rue Daguerre street market, etc.

There is a street market on bd Edgar Quinet a couple days a week, and rue Daguerre is a permanent market street. I like the Henri Cartier Bresson foundation for photographie which isn't too far away.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:12 AM

Montparnasse is the 14th. I stayed on Blvd. Raspail last November. That is a great area and neighborhood. We were close to the Raspail metro stop but also used Edgar Quinet, Vavins, and Notre Dam des Champs. Tons of restaurants, Monoprix, Franprix, and neat shops on blvd. Raspail..we walked up it for it seemed like miles, but very fun. You're also close to Bon Marche and a branch of Gallerie Lafayett. It felt very safe at all times, but I will admit, if we were out past 8:00 p.m. it was late for us. After we put the miles on during the day, I was ready for jammies, some BBC, and a snack by that time. LOL I would be very surprised if you are disappointed in that neighborhood.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I love the name of the street. Passage d'Enfer.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM

There are two excellent restaurants near your apartment; Cerisaie, 70 bd E.Quinet, a Michelin Bib Gourmand, and Le Duc, 243 bd Raspail, a one star that is pricey but superb, based on our single visit.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:12 PM

There are parts of the 6th called Montparnasse, right near bd Montparnasse -- but I know where that street is, and it's not in the 6th (Raspail metro isn't either).
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM

Well I know the arrondisements can run right together depending where you are. The Raspail metro wasn't more than four blocks from our hotel, and the address of our hotel was the 14th, so there ya go..a couple of blocks and you're in the 6th. I remember seeing the 4th on some addressing as we were walking toward the river. Boy, I get around don't I? LOL
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
ira

Hi S,

>..an apartment... on Passage d’Enfer.

Well the name doesn't fill me with visions of paradise.

The address doesn't show up on www.pagesjaunes.fr, but you can find it at www.mappy.com.

You are in the 16th, about 200 m from the metro and about 1 km S of the Luxembourg Gardens, next to the cemetery.

You are not far from two of the RER B stops, if you will be coming in from CDG.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Apr 24th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the help and information. Sunny
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I know where the passage is located. It is a few yards southeastwards from the intersection of Boulevard Edgar Quinet and Boulevard Raspail. I stayed in the Hotel d'Aiglon which is near the intersection of Boulevard Montparnasse and Boulevard Raspail.

As described Raispail Metro station is very close at hand.

There is quite a bit of activity in that area, particularly along Boulevard Montparnasse in the direction of rue de Rennes.

The neighborhood has two or three techichal schools in it as well as the cemetary. Even so, there is a good deal of residential housing in the form of apartments all along there.

I have found that section of the 14th to be fine, although Raspail and Montparnasse are busy streets, particularly Montparnasse.

Unless memory fails me, Passage d'Enfer is a quiet backwater that intersects with Raspail very near the entrance to the Metro station.

In addition to the Metro stop there are plenty of bus lines along both Raspail and Montparnasse.

For a Paris visit, I think you have a place that will enable you to get about the city quite well.