Montmartre apartment

Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Montmartre apartment

My husband and I will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary in Paris. I wonder if anyone has rented an apartment from opodohome on rue Lamarck. Also, if anyone has had a great experience with an apartment I'd love to hear about it.

Feb 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Hi... have you been to Paris before? (so you know where the apt is located in relation to typical Paris sights?)...
Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

dear travelnut. I don't know how to reply to your message but yes, i have been to paris before. this apartment is near sacre coeur basillique. We have both stayed in the 5th arrond. several times and are interested in Montmartre, though not totally tied to that area.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:32 AM

We rented in Montmartre from parisvacationapartments.com -- the one on Rue Cortot. We were very happy. Great area. Service was great.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

unfortunately, all of their apartments are rented except for the three bedroom which is more than my husband and I need. Thanks for your answer though,
Feb 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM

I was only wondering because sometimes apt or hotel ads 'glam it up' a bit, you know "just steps away from the Champs Elysee" when in reality the place is a mile and a half away. Lamarck is a bit 'out there' but there's nothing wrong with that if you're informed...
Feb 3rd, 2005, 03:07 PM

Try vrbo.com/10577. You will find an apartment onthe back side of Sacre Coeur in a nice quiet neighborhood. We stayed here for two weeks in May of last year.
It is conveniently located for both bus and metro stops and has all the necessities within easy walking distance.

The owner is an american and it is very easy to communicate by telephone. If you would like more specific info you can email me at [email protected] If you know the area at all you can find the apartment on rue Hermel just a few blocks from the lamarck metro.
Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:06 PM

Two more sites to consider with apartments in the general area:

www.letsparis.com
www.parisrentalapartmentfinders.com

The hubby and I also rented a VRBO apartment recently that had a great view of Sacre Coeur and was on the edge of the 9th/18th: www.vrbo.com/43232. The owner was very nice and required no security deposit and sent the keys directly to us in the mail!

Hope this helps!
Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:32 PM

Lutece,
Any more details on that VRBO apt would be great. I like that area and saw that listing. Was there an elevator in the building? Many thanks!
Feb 3rd, 2005, 06:34 PM

I think Montmarte is a great place for a wedding anniversary! Nighttime views of Paris all lit up -- very, very romantic. One fun thing to do if you saw the the movie set in Montmarte ("Le Fabuleux Destin de Amelie Polain," shortened to "Emily" in the U.S., I believe) would be to visit a few of the places that figure in the film. We stopped in the slightly "gritty" Cafe des Deux Moulins on rue Le Pic over the Christmas holidays. The movie fame has not gone to anyone's head in that place. Just a small concession in the form of a poster on the wall. We had a tasty pot-au-feu, and the waiting staff could not have been nicer to gawking foreigners! Also passed by the produce stand on Le Pic, which is adorable. The Routard guide to Paris has a multipage "little itinerary" for a romantic walk on Montmarte if you can navigate in French. Congratulations on your 25th anniversary!
Feb 4th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Hi Minimn,

The apartment was great for us. I get the sense that on this site people go for more expensive apartments, but this one was a bargain in my opinion. It was very nice for the price - we were just there for four nights over Thanksgiving and he charged us 100E per night. He has his own website in addition to VRBO: www.spleendeparis.com. The place is fairly large (60 sq. meters) with several windows - one has a view of Sacre Coeur and the other has a view of the statue at Place Clichy. You can watch the city bustle from the comfort of your apartment - day and night. The apartment has new windows and it's amazing how much of the sound was blocked simply by closing them. The kitchen is pretty well equipped, and as I said the owner was very nice. There is a comfy, big bed (probably close to king sized) in the main room. It looks like the apartment used to be several rooms that have been opened up to give it a loft sort of feel. There was no lift, but it was only two flights of stairs, as I recall, to get to the apartment. As for location, we've always liked the 9th/18th and think it's great. Lively, safe and very accessible by bus and metro.

Hope this helps!
Feb 4th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Many thanks, Lutece. Exactly what I wanted to know and your help is appreciated!!

Feb 5th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

hi all. Thanks so much for all the tips. I have found an apartment on vrbo. #19964. It looks cute and the price is great. It's an american owner. Has anyone stayed on or near rue des saules or does anyone know anything about that street at the number 43? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.