Search

Month in Spain in September - Itinerary Feedback please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Month in Spain in September - Itinerary Feedback please

Hi All!
I am heading to Spain in just a few weeks and am trying to establish where I am spending my month in Spain.

After reading endless blogs, posts and reviews here is what I think I would enjoy... nothing is set in stone so would appreciate any feedback –particularly around time in Seville/Cadiz/Jerez and also how do I best make a day trip to Gibraltor from one of those locations. I intend on using a tour group for 8 days to visit Toledo/Cordoba/Granada/Ronda/ending in Seville to make this easier and seamless for the start of my trip.

I love the beach, wine, mountains/landscapes and I’m a huge fan of architecture. I also like to relax, hence my long stays in Cadiz (or similar) and Barcelona.

Trip is 30days/29nights in total - flying in and out of Barcelona for the whole of September.

Day 1 – Early morning international arrival into Barcelona - AVE train to Madrid

Day 2 - Madrid (join tour group in afternoon) (overnight in Madrid)

TOUR GROUP
Day 3 - Toledo (overnight stay in Madrid)
Day 4 - Cordoba (overnight stay in Cordoba)
Day 5/6 - Granada (2 nights in Granada)
Day 7 - Ronda (overnight stay in Ronda)
Day 8 - Seville (overnight stay in Seville)

TRAVELLING SOLO (depart tour group mid-morning of Day 9)

Day 9/10/11 - Seville (3 nights in Seville) – to include day trip to Gibraltor from here?

Day 12/13/14/15/16/17 – Train (or bus?) to Cadiz (6 nights in Cadiz) –
: Include time in Jerez (maybe overnight?) Sherry tour/dancing horse
: Include trip to National Park of Donana
: Trip to Conil?
: Include day trip to Gibraltar from here?

Day 18/19/20 – Train to Madrid (3 nights in Madrid) – to include day trip to Avila and Sergovia

Day 21 – Train to Barcelona (9 nights in Barcelona)

Day 22 – 29 Barcelona –
: Include La Merce Festival 19th – 24th
: Include day trip to Tarragona and Stiges
: Include trip to Girona, Figueres, Cadeques
: Include visit to Montserrat
: Include multiday tour to Pyrenees Mountains?

Day 30 – Depart from Barcelona mid AM on international flight

Look forward to hearing people's feedback.
Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 07:51 PM

The tour group has a hectic schedule. If you are spending a month, it not necessary to join a tour to all those places. You could visit each and get a day tour if you so desired.

It seems like there is too little time to savor the places you are visiting.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 12:45 AM

The most prestigious flamenco festival in the world goes on in Sevilla from Sept. 12. to Oct. 5. A night at the Bienal could easily be the highlight of your trip and a crash intro to this beautiful and powerful art so important for Andalucia. The finest flamenco artists in the world in theaters all around town every night: http://www.labienal.com/en/
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 01:11 AM

I think you are trying to include too many things, too fast. You won't have time to enjoy all those places at this speed.
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 06:24 AM

You will need to cut back on many of your activities because of the intenste heat.My suggestion is to get an early start each day and drink plenty of water.Make sure A/C is available during the night and not powered down!
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi All

Thank you for the feedback!

IMDonehere. This tour is one area that although not keen on joining tours, I felt this suited me okay and allowed me to not worry too much about transportation and just enjoy. If I had visted these locations on my own, it would have been in the same order for the same period of days each (except Madrid and Toledo hence why I am chosing to return to Madrid on my way back up the country). I appreciate your thoughts though and will take this into account if I start feeling like it's going to fast.!

kimhe - I will be in Seville right before that time, so I might look at switching that area around. It's still not set in stone so pondering options still. I love flamenco so this would be fabulous to enjoy.

Agosto/chapla - In relation to doing too much and the heat. I live in Australia and love the heat. 40 degrees to me is amazing, I think 25 degrees it too cold! However I am aware of the difference in climate and am comfortable adjusting to suit the environment and how I feel.

I should add, I am a spontaneous traveller, and altho the activities above seem like many, there is a large chance I will miss things, because I like to sit back and enjoy the view!

Does anyone have any information about travelling around Cadiz, must see areas? fabulous small towns to visit?
Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 11:11 PM

<I love flamenco so this would be fabulous to enjoy>

Some of my recommendations for the first week of the Bienal:

Israel Galván, Sept 14.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTXf01hRr94

Mayte Martín, Sept. 16.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-ZhU6sN9bs

María Pagés, Sept. 17.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2WrmCX7HDg

Marina Heredia, Sept. 18.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkkI9q2viWA
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kimhe. Do tickets to those events sell out prior, or can you purchase them on the day or at least once I arrive in the city?
Old Jul 24th, 2014, 05:33 AM

I recommend to buy tickets in advance to secure good seating. Very easy to buy online on generaltickets.com and print at home. I have used this service for many years and have my tickets in hand already ;-)

But Galván on the 14. is sold out and only 26 tickets left for Martín on the 16th. Both are in the wonderful and old world Lope de Vega theater. Use to be released some extra tickets a month or so in advance, so keep an eye on it if you are interested in any of these performances. Also always possible to buy black market tickets outside the venue on the night of the concert for a few euros more.

Planty of tickets left for María Pagés in the huge Maestranza theater on Sept. 17. Also plenty of tickets left for Marina Heredia's outdoor concert in the Real Alcazar on the 18th.
http://www.generaltickets.com/index.php