Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

16 days in Spain - tour or do-it-ourselves? - Suggestions on itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm planning to take my mom (who is 59 yrs old and still very active) with me to Spain for two weeks in early October.

I'm indecisive as to whether we should do a guided tour from Cosmos, which also takes us to Portugal and costs about $1,300.00 pp (does not include airfare). The tour's itinerary is here: http://www.affordabletours.com/searc...3584/#itindata

If we take the tour, I was planning to fly into Barcelona three days before it starts, hang out in Barcelona on our own and then take a train to Madrid to join the tour. After that we plan to go back to California from Madrid.

I also would love to do this trip on our own but I'm not sure if our tour budget would allow us to visit all of these sites on our own. We are definitely on a budget and would like to get the most for our money. What do you Fodorites think?

Also when do you think I can find good fares from LA to either Barcelona or Madrid?

Thanks!!!
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:30 PM

The tour you referred to covers a lot of ground in only 12 days, far too much to actually enjoy your time. You'll barely have time to get off the bus!

You could do Barcelona, Madrid and Lisbon on your own, with 4 days in each city, and include a few day trips during that time, but it would be difficult to do it on what Cosmos is charging, unless you stay in the same hotels, not all of which are in the best locations.

I'd fly into Barcelona and out from Lisbon.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Hi

We did the Cosmos tour of Spain (15 days) and it was fantastic. I agree with Robert though. Leave Portugal out of your plans. If you compare the proposed itinerary with a map you will realise that you are covering huge distances. You will spend alot of time in the coach. Boring! So I suggest leaving Portugal out (hard to do I know) and take the 15 day Grand Tour of Spain" package. You will not be disappointed - you are in for a cultural feast.
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you worldinabag! That tour sounds amazing too. But, I forgot to add that Portugal is a must because my mom wants to visit Fatima. I was thinking of buying Eurail's Spain & Portugal, do some exploring on our own and try to hit some of the big cities on the Spain tour map. We'll probably end up in budget hostals/hostels at each destination.

So for a very rough 14-day itinerary: Barcelona(3)-Valencia(2)-Madrid(3)-(Toledo?)-Cordoba(1)-Granada(1)-Seville(2)-Lisboa(2)-LAX

My must-have experiences for this trip: the food, museums, churches, flamenco & fado, and architecture. Not much of a nightlife person.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:03 PM

I can recommend flamenco at Casa de la Memória in Sevilla. Popular with tourists, but this is the real deal and a solid introduction to the art form. Changing programs every day, both some of the finest flamenco artists in the world and up-coming talents perform here. Pastora Galván was recently voted best female flamenco dancer of 2010 by Spanish critics, and she has danced here once a week for a long time. Performances at 9 pm and sometines also at 10.30: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...Andalusia.html

We've liked to stay in good value Hostal Museo, close to the Museum of Fine Arts and a 10-15 mins walk to the more toursity Santa Cruz area whith the most well known sights.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/hostal-museo.en.html

I'm no fado expert, but had a great time a couple of years ago in casual and intimate A Baiuca in the Alfama district of Lisboa on recommendation from an experienced fado singer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3T-n37dxQU

Pensao Recidencial is a great value budget alternative as central as it gets in Lisboa, just off the Rossio square. http://www.pensaoportuense.com/default.aspx

Almost just across the street from magnificent Casa de Alentejo, a former Moorish palace, now a cultural center for the Alentejo region with expositions, library and restaurant:
http://www.casadoalentejo.pt/flash.html
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, kimhe for the recommendations! I'll add those to my planning list.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:59 AM

Well if you want to cover alot of ground and see alot of sights, the tour may be a good idea. Yes it sounds exhausting but you can sleep on the bus during the day as you move from place to place. I think tours are not a bad idea to maximize "ticking off" the major sights. Often a tour gets preferred entry - less standing in line. If you decide to do it yourself - you can visit Toledo as a daytrip from Madrid and Cordoba as a daytrip from Seville - that saves you some packing up and moving on time. Also consider skipping Granada and / or Valencia and add time to other places. The Alcazar in Seville is almost as impressive as the Alhambra. If you are going to Portugal, I'd add a few days there.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM

You have been offered a lot of sound advice. If Lisbon and Fatima are a must than I would exclude Barcelona, even though it is one of my favorite places in Spain. Take a peek at a map of Iberia and you will see how much time will be spent traveling.

For trips within Iberia, check Vueling, which is a Spanish airline specializing in trips within Spain and those from Spain to other European countries.

One thing people forget on their trips to Europe is to enjoy themselves and that includes sitting at cafe and watching Spanish and Portuguese life. It is instructive, fun, and relaxing.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM

You have been offered a lot of sound advice. If Lisbon and Fatima are a must than I would exclude Barcelona, even though it is one of my favorite places in Spain. Take a peek at a map of Iberia and you will see how much time will be spent traveling.

For trips within Iberia, check Vueling, which is a Spanish airline specializing in trips within Spain and those from Spain to other European countries.

One thing people forget on their trips to Europe is to enjoy themselves and that includes sitting at cafe and watching Spanish and Portuguese life. It is instructive, fun, and relaxing.
Old May 25th, 2011, 06:35 AM

Hello,

There are definitely a lot to do and see in both Portugal and Spain. If you come all the way to Europe, you have to stop by Madrid and Barcelona, even if only for a few days.

In Barcelona, you can stroll through Las Ramblas, walk by Gaudi´s work or again sit at a cafe and watch the people of this lively city. You can also take part in organized excursions such as a City Tapas Tour. For the evening, I recommend either a Flamenco show / dinner or the Mirabau restaurant where you´ll be able to enjoy a spectacular view of Barcelona.

Here are only a couple of options. There are much more to see, of course!

Have a great trip,

Lifestyle Barcelona