Montalcino after dinner

Oct 20th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Montalcino after dinner

I will be staying in Montalcino for 3 nights taking day trips to other towns. Can someone tell me what goes on in Montalcino in the evening, I will be there with my husband and adutl son. just wondering what is there to do after dinner.
Oct 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Anyone pleaseeee
Oct 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM

When we there not much went on in town in the evening. Eat a late dinner and drink a lot of Brunello and before you know it the evening will be gone...
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:02 PM

There is very little night life in any of the small Tuscan hill towns---just dinner and bars.
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Dinner in Italy starts between 8 and 9 pm, and the typical dinner can last two hours (or more). So by the time you're done with dinner, there's not much left to the evening. An after-dinner stroll through a softly-lit night-time Tuscan hill town is the best after-dinner activity that I could suggest.
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM

We just spent 4 days in Montalcino and don't look for night life. After all the daytrippers leave it really quiets down. We'd go have dinner about 7:30 and by the time that was done it was 9-9:30. We'd take a walk around town and go back to the hotel and go to bed. We were always bushed after walking through hill towns all day.

[email protected]
Oct 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Got it, thank you all that sounds perfect.
Oct 21st, 2007, 06:50 AM

In the evenings the locals will walk around to gossip and snack. The Passiago is very much part of the end of the day thing.

Normally occurs before a late dinner. Generally I find finish the meal with pudding then vin santo and biscuits then coffee
Oct 21st, 2007, 07:58 AM

We just got back from Italy and stayed 5 nights in Montalcino. If there was anything we would have changed in our 17 nights in Italy it would have been staying in Montalcino. My suggestion stay in Montepulciano. The main reason is that it is only 5-10 mins from the Autostrand where Montalcino is 1 hour away. It took us forever to get to other places. We added 2 hours of driving each day just because Montalcino is so out of the way. From Montepulciano you can still visit Montalcino easily but then are so much closer to the Autostrand to get to the other towns you want to visit, such as Florence. Also, I preferred Montepulciano over Montalcino. It was more charming in my opinion.

As for nightlife, it doesn't exist. By 7-8 all shops are closed and by 10 all resturants are closed.

Enjoy!
Ann
Oct 21st, 2007, 08:33 AM

Although Montalcino was not our favorite town, I disagree that it makes a poor base for the immediate region. We spent 3 nights there in May of 2006. We were glad to get away from the autostrada and see the beautiful countryside of this region. That's half the attraction of this destination is the Tuscan countryside.

While in Montalcino, we visited Monte Oliveto Maggiore, Pienza, Montipulciano, Monticchiello, San Quirico d'Orcia, Sant' Antimo and Bagno Vignoni.

Other than a walk after dinner, there is nothing happening at night. That suits us just fine as we are early to rise.

The views from Montalcino are breathtaking especially at sunset and sunrise but I also felt the town itself lacked a certain charm. Only my opinion of course as many people on this board absolutely love it.
Oct 21st, 2007, 11:38 AM

I concur with the previous poster. I like to be as far from the main roads as possible. The drives to other towns are always beautiful and enjoyable. Montalcino is a charming little town and is great in the evening when the daytrippers have left. The views are stunning, there are some nice places to stay, and there are some very good restaurants.

[email protected]
Oct 21st, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

CRAZY4TRAVEL

HOW MANY TOWNS DID YOU VISIT DAILY I AM ALSO STAYING 3 NIGHTS IN MONTALCINO AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOU DIT IT.
Oct 21st, 2007, 07:01 PM
hdm

While staying in Montalcino, consider a dinner at Poggio Antico. It was lovely and very special. If the weather is fine, ask if you can sit on the terrace.

www.poggioantico.com
Oct 21st, 2007, 09:22 PM

OK, I spent an entire week in Montalcino about a year ago. It was fabulous. I agree with the other posters in that there is "nothing" to do there in the evenings, but that is EXACTLY what we were looking for. After traveling during the day and visiting the other small picturesque beautiful towns in the area, we came back to our hotel in the late afternoon to freshen up, maybe even have a short rest with a glass of wine (!!!) and then went out for a late-ish dinner. By the time dinner was finished, we were ready to hit the sack in order to start our next day bright and early all over again.

If your idea is to be close to a highway in order to get to places like Firenze, then this is NOT the place for you to stay. If however you want to be in a small, tranquil, atmospheric setting, it was fabulous.

Any of the small, or larger, hill towns in this area is gorgeous. After visiting so many of them during our trip, I can honestly say that if I would have chosen any of the others, I don't think I would have been disappointed in any. That said, I would return to Montalcino in a New York minute !!!
Oct 22nd, 2007, 03:12 AM

We visited Monte Oliveto Maggiore on our way to Montalcino and arrived late afternoon. We spent the remainder of the day strolling around town.

We started our next day in Montipulciano. We had lunch in Monticchiello. Spent a few hours in the afternoon in Pienza, and ended that day with a stroll in San Quirico.

The next day went to Bagno Vignoni in the morning. We went to Sant' Antimo early afternoon for the Gregorian chants. We had a leisurely lunch outside of Montalcino and spent late afternoon and evening in town.

I wish we had more time in this region as it's a place that you'd love to linger and drink in the surroundings.
Oct 22nd, 2007, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot that's exactly what we are gonna be doing. It sounds great.