Search

Mont St Michel - Stay on island or mainland

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mont St Michel - Stay on island or mainland

Hi All,

Trying to decide between staying on the island versus on the mainland in Mont St Michel. The island is slightly more expensive but more interested in knowing whether staying on the island is a much better experience.

THANK YOU!
Old May 15th, 2018, 07:36 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I visited many years ago but the question remains the same. I stayed on the island and so glad I did. Opinions on the subject here were divided in past posts but for me it was no contest, having the place almost to ourselves, it seemed, in the evening and early next day was quite remarkable. Maybe the divide in opinion is between the practical and the romantic among us. I personally go for the most intense experience and having a view of the Mont from the mainland wasn't enough for me, not even considered.
Old May 15th, 2018, 08:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
A lot of people love being on the island at night when it is empty -- and dead. I prefer being in the hotel zone on the mainland, which is pretty quiet, too but at least it has a superette and restaurants with a bit more life in them. Obviously it is great to be able to wander around the Mont without all of the tourist hordes, but the free shuttle bus from the mainland runs until 1 a.m. and I found it totally convenient for my needs.
Old May 15th, 2018, 08:38 AM

One person's "dead" is another's peaceful. We ate dinner in a small restaurant and the waiter had time to chat and where, at the end of the meal I discovered ile flottante. Not my favorite dessert but fun under the circumstances. It was hugely memorable for reasons too complex to describe here but you might have fun at the superette, too, who knows.
Old May 15th, 2018, 08:50 AM

That's because when I travel alone, I prefer to have the option of feasting in my room at the Mercure for less than 10 euros.
Old May 15th, 2018, 08:53 AM

Then I'd suggest the OP stay on the island for their first visit and dine in their room at the Mercure on all subsequent, the perfect solution. That's assuming they don't love it out there as much as I did.
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:11 AM

If staying on the island you may want to take the shuttle bus to the mainland at night for a view of the Mont all gloriously illiminated in the near distance. We stayed on mainland and if driving it is much easier to park near your hotel. But you see opinions on both sides - and who can say what is better? If on mainland do go to the island at night and v.v. IMO.
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:20 PM

One of the things I loved the best about being on the mainland was being able to walk out in the fields behind the hotel to see the stunning illuminated view of the Mont. When I was on the Mont at night, all I had was floodlights in my face and a black horizon to look at.

Here is my full report of two different visits: Mont Saint Michel by night (2013)... and then by day (2017) | Any Port in a Storm
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Do they still have in summer a spectacle inside the environs of the abbey - years ago me and my son were delighted to take that self-guided and un-crowded tour with special effects in rooms? Was called Nocturnes of Mont-Sain-Michel but have not heard of it recently.
Old May 15th, 2018, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi All, Thank you for the input. This is a tough one to decide on. We will be driving and we have a 4 year old with us. Sounds like parking is easier on the mainland but the shuttle also sounds convenient. Staying on the island will give us the chance to easily explore it even if our lill one is asleep. Def a tough choice but sounds either way will be fine!!!
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Do they still have in summer a spectacle inside the environs of the abbey - years ago me and my son were delighted to take that self-guided and un-crowded tour with special effects in rooms? Was called Nocturnes of Mont-Sain-Michel but have not heard of it recently.
Will look into this! Thank you!
Old May 15th, 2018, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Traveler_2012
Hi All, Thank you for the input. This is a tough one to decide on. We will be driving and we have a 4 year old with us. Sounds like parking is easier on the mainland but the shuttle also sounds convenient. Staying on the island will give us the chance to easily explore it even if our lill one is asleep. Def a tough choice but sounds either way will be fine!!!
You will be taking the shuttle no matter what since you cannot drive to the Mont. Everybody is in the same far flung parking lot -- except for people staying at some of the hotels on the mainland with their own parking lot -- but then you pay extra for that.

There is only one main "street" on the Mont and then a couple of side alleys plus the ramparts, so you might have an exaggerated idea of how much "exploring" there is to do. Frankly, in one hour you can walk to every single area on the Mont. Naturally, visiting the Abbey takes longer, but it is pleasant and does not seem crowded even when there are a lot of people.
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:33 PM

Frankly think the views are most magical from the mainland, then you need not worry about your departure/arrival times vis-a-vis the tides. We were coming back from Normandy counterclockwise back to Paris so only spent the afternoon there, not sure where we stayed en route.
Old May 15th, 2018, 02:37 PM

Itinéraire nocturne 2017

Well I should have Googled before -seems much the same but only in parts of July and all August.
Old May 16th, 2018, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by PalenQ
Yes they still have this available from 07/07. Here is the link to the info https://leschroniquesdumont.placemin...html?rp=154886
I was not able to book the tickets online as they do not let you pay with credit card from US. But they told me that buying tickets at the door is not a problem.
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestion! This sounds wonderful!
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

This sounds wonderful! Can't wait to do this!
Old May 16th, 2018, 01:17 PM

If staying more than just one day look into guided treks across the sandy bay - only local guides have knowledge of where quick sands are so dangerous to do on your own but a fun experience for folks into trekking.