Money probems

Apr 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM
iki
Original Poster

Money probems

I´m going to London soon and I don´t know how much money I need for three days.
I have to pay for my lunch and for dinner, on one day I can go shopping for one hour.
Please tell me soon were leaving Austria on Friday the 17th in the early morning.
Thanks
Apr 13th, 2009, 01:26 AM

It's a bit of a vague request isn't it? Are you going to eat a Big Mac or a proper dinner. Are you going to shop in Harrods or the Poundsaver? What are you intending to buy? A Bentley or a book of matches?
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:10 AM

Take Let's Do It's advice--budget out your expenses, and then add 20% for unforeseen expenses that always seem to spring up.
Apr 13th, 2009, 02:42 AM

Put it this way:

- a sandwich, drink and a pot of yoghourt at a Pret a Manger for lunch will cost you around £6

- a cooked pub lunch with a pint of beer is likely to be around £10

- a sit-down evening meal at a fairly average local restaurant is not likely to cost you less than about £20, but of course you could spend a lot more.

Am I right in thinking this anxiety about getting money in advance might have something to do with not having a credit card - and that therefore you may be a young person? If by "shopping" you mean simple souvenirs, I'd just set a sum you could afford. You could try looking in the London Transport Museum shop (in Covent Garden: you don't have to visit the museum to use the shop) for relatively inexpensive items that are iconically "London".
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:05 AM
iki
Original Poster

You´re right PatrickLondon I don´t have a credit card because I´m 13. It´s a school trip and our teacher planed to go shopping, like you guessed, in Covent Garden.
Apr 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM

Didnt your teacher provide a suggested budget?

For affordable lunches look for Boots, Pret, Eat, or other take out sandwich places...lunch should be about £5-6. You could do the same for dinner, but I would budget about £10-12 for dinner.
Apr 14th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Iki, I hope you can post at least short a trip report. I'd love to see your impressions of London.
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:46 AM

You need to consider your appetite as well. Some teens - my brother was one - can empty a fridge in half an hour. Also, soft drinks are very expensive versus the US - and come in tiny little cans. And there are never free refills on drinks. For some perspective, meals in fast food chains (Mickey D's etc) are about 50% more than in the US.
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:52 AM

nytraveler,

The poster is not American.
Apr 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM

PS Nytraveler, I'm just curious, since you've posted so many times about the cost of soda in Europe: Did you once take your teenage brother traveling and did soda-drinking become a huge issue?
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM

This is certainly not a put down, but I don't understand comments regarding soda's. I don't drink them nor do any people I know. Now if you want to talk beer, well that's I understand iki, if you can, take around 20/25 pounds to cover a light lunch, dinner and for some shopping.
Apr 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Hi iki,

Others have given you good suggestions on your meal budget. There are many shops around Covent Garden, but with only one hour I assume you plan to shop mainly for souvenirs? In that case, I wouldn't take too much. I think £50 for the shopping day should be enough, unless you know you plan to buy something more expensive as a souvenir. And perhaps £25 on the other days for lunch, dinner and snacks.

Enjoy your school trip! I agree - I would love to hear what you thought of London.