Reload this Page >

Starving student in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:15 PM
Karisiera

Hi everyone!<BR> I'm going to be spending two incredible months in London this fall. I'm trying to budget my money but I have no idea how much things cost there. How much would a soda or sandwich cost? I'm hoping to be able to survive on $2000 USD for food, transportation, and some extras if that's possible. Your help would be greatly appreciated! - Kari

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:27 AM
meg

Average price for a sandwich is about 2.50 GBP in London. What's a 'soda'? A coffee costs about 2.00; soft drinks about the same

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Siobhan

$2000 is plenty in London for 2 months if that does not include accommodation. There are lots of good cheap places to eat a sandwich or a small meal. Enjoy

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 02:13 AM
Karen

Kari<BR><BR>A "soda" will cost from 50p for a can up to &pound;1 for a 500ml bottle. We don't call them sodas though, we call them soft drinks or fizzy drinks. Sandwiches vary depending where you get them - usually &pound;2 - 4, the cheaper end being from supermarkets and shops such as Boots. Pret a Manger (one of the fave sandwich chains) will cost on average &pound;2.50 - &pound;3.50. Bakery items, chocolate, snacks and drinks will all be cheaper from a supermarket such as Tesco's or Sainsburys or a store like Marks and Spencers (the M&S stores with on-site bakeries are really nice). <BR>As for transport, if you are staying in zones 1 or 2 a weekly travel card (covering tubes and buses) is &pound;19.30 or &pound;74 for a monthly ticket.<BR><BR>Are there any other prices you need to know?

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:42 AM
thirsty

There's that reference to BOOTS again. Very popular place it would seem for lower priced items.<BR> Oh Meg: a soda is a soft drink with a scoop of ice cream in it. ex. a root beer soda

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 08:46 AM
Frank

In the US, a soda is a soft drink. What thirsty is describing is what we call a float.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:01 AM
xxx

Frank: Don't be so sure. The USA is a very big place with a lot of local idioms. The term soda is not used everywhere here. Also float is common in parts of the US but in others it would not be understood. In some regions soda means specifically club soda or soda water mostly used as a mixer.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:33 AM
xxx

You could really save alot if you are staying one location by having groceries and making sandwiches where you are staying. Don't forget buying in season veggies and fruits and keeping them with you as snacks. Try to buy larger size soda bottles and keep them where you are staying also (much cheaper than individual units)<BR><BR>Have a wonderful time, I am very jealous!!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:44 AM
aj

When I lived on the West Coast we called soft drinks pop. Now in the "deep" south they are all called "coke"? It does really depend on where you live.<BR>Any way, Karisiera, how wonderful for you to be in London for two months. Enjoy yourself and be sure you see the Covent Garden area.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Tracy

Hey K,<BR><BR>Basically, don't eat out in a restaurant or cafe at all - London is a total rip in this respect. Go to the local supermarket (not convenience mart, Europa and Harts are really expensive) and make your own sandwiches.<BR><BR>When I was traveling, I also didn't drink alcohol at all - another great way to save &pound;s!!!<BR><BR>And with all that saved money (you will be so totally fine with $2K), be sure to have some great weekend trips to Paris, Amsterdam, Rome etc. - you'll be within easy flight distance for some killer 'city breaks.'<BR><BR>HTH & have fun!<BR>= )

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 11:56 AM
xxx

GO to Sainsbury's or Marks & Spencer and buy a french loaf (baguette) and a lovely spread (they have eggplant, hummus, taramasalata, etc). That should last you a couple of meals. Also kebabs are cheap and plentiful.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Karisiera

Hi everyone,<BR> Thanks for your replies! I'm very excited about going to London. This will be my very first trip outside the U.S! Wish me luck! - Kari

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Tracy

For local listings, neighborhood information, and other good up-to-date stuff, check out<BR><BR>http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/index.html<BR><BR>http://www.timeout.com/london/<BR><BR>The first is the local evening paper, and TimeOut is required weekly reading!<BR><BR>Good luck, and remember - absolutely everything is a little bit different in London . . .<BR>HTH<BR>= )

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Uncle Sam

Soda is what "Yankees" (Northerners) in the US call "coke".<BR><BR>Why "coke"...because Coca Cola is in Atlanta and that's just the way it is and ought to be!<BR><BR>US

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 06:31 PM
karisiera

Hey Traci,<BR> Thanks for the links! Will definitely check them out - kari.