Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moderately Priced London Hotel for Business Travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a business trip to London, and corporate policy is to try not to exceed $200/night (which is rather difficult in London!) I'm looking for a hotel that would be convenient to the tube (zones 1 & 2), in a good neighborhood where I could feel comfortable walking around by myself (even after dark), have comfortable (if basic) amenities, rooms with a/c, and either 24-hour room service or be located in an area with several restaurants (for those days when I don't get a chance to dine until 10pm or so.) During my last trip I stayed on Kensington High Street, just a few blocks from the tube station -- an area which I liked very much, though I would prefer not to stay in that hotel again.

My corporate travel agent recommended K West London, but I haven't read very good reviews of that hotel. I've seen the K & K George, The Rembrandt, and The Regency recommended in various travel forums. Any feedback on these hotels, or additional recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:33 PM

I suspect you can't use Priceline as a business traveler.

However, I think the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, where I stayed last year, would fit all of your requirements, even if booked conventionally. It's very convenient to the Gloucester Road tube, and in a safe neighborhood with supermarkets and restaurants. If you buy an advance purchase rate from the Holiday Inn web site, I think there's a good chance you can get less than a $200/night rate.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:03 AM

Not sure it would fit your budget but the Renaissance Chancery Court gets good reviews. It is in an area near the law courts and law schools so there are plenty of cafes and restaurants around. It's near the Holborn tube stop.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Just occurred to me, much less grand (and probably no room service but food in the area) is the Sherlock Holmes that should fit the budget. It's near the Baker St. station and also not far from Marylebone train station and tube.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:13 AM

We've stayed at both the Rembrandt and Millenium Baileys and were very satisfied. Lots of shops and cafes in the area, 2 convenient tube stations and very safe. I got both for 90 GBP on www.Londontown.com..breakfast buffet included at the Rembrandt.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 04:37 AM

Have you considered speaking to whoever sets the $ limits? $200 isn;t bad in the US - but given the fall of the dollar it seems that they should be increasing the rates for internatinal travel - it's not YOUR fault the dollar has fallen. I would push to have them raise the limit to $300 or so.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 06:32 AM

We've stayed at the Bonnington of Bloomsbury a couple of times and it's a good, moderately priced hotel in a decent area. Can also recommend the Copthorne Tara in Kensington. Have you looked at the Millenium Gloucester and Millenium Bailey?

Are you sure you can't use Priceline? For around $150/night, you could get a 5* in Mayfair or Westminster (check out www.biddingfortravel.com for research.)
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM

I've stayed at the K West and it's a really nice hotel - with a very nice spa The choice of restaurants in that area is rather limited though, but they do have really good room service 24/7. The hotel seems to be rather popular with celebs in the music industry! I was there because friends were playing at the nearby Shepherds Bush Empire and Green Day were also hanging around the bar one night ... but I digress. Not sure I'd recommend it for a female walking around alone at night - it is not on a main road and one of the streets you'd walk down to get to it is not too well lit.

Other good hotels I've stayed in are the Novotel Euston and Radisson Grafton. The latter is at the Warren Street end of Tottenham Court Road, right next to the tube. The Novotel is (as the name suggests) just round the corner from Euston station and is within easy walking distance of Bloomsbury and there are some nice restaurants there.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Hi jules, I'm staying in the Sherlock Holmes hotel just now so I thought I'd give you some more info.

The hotel, as maclurie advises, is minutes to the Baker St. tube and about 5-10 minutes to the Marylebone train/tube station.

In addition to the tapas menu in the lobby bar, there's a proper restaurant, and a limited room service menu from
11 am to 11 pm. There are lots of good restaurants nearby (see www.streetsensation.co.uk and click on Marylebone to for a virtual tour of the High Street).

We enjoy this neighborhood a lot and are actually in the process of relocating here from the US. I feel perfectly safe walking around alone even quite late (just use the same precautions you would at home).

I just checked the current rates for you:

superior room: £122-171
executive room: £142-191
studio suite: £275

I've stayed here often and would caution you that the superior rooms can be quite small so I'd suggest you get an executive room if possible. Your travel agent may be able to get you upgraded.

Here's the hotel's website for more info:

www.sherlockholmeshotel.com

Good luck!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I have managed to get approval to go slightly higher than $200, given the weakness of the dollar.

I've seen the Holiday Inn Mayfair recommended in several older posts, and it seems fairly reasonable. How does it compare with the Holiday Inn London-Kensington and the HI London-Kensington Forum? All seem to be in the same price range and offer generally similar facilities.

I like that Mayfair is more central, but the HI Kensington and Kensington Forum seem to be right near the Gloucester Road tube, which is quite convenient. How do the neighborhoods compare?
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:46 AM

I would suggest either Millenium Baileys or Millenium Gloucester. They are right next to each other only a few yards from the Glucester Road tube stop. Three different lines run through the station including the Picadilly from Heathrow. You can get nearly anywhere withour transferring. Decent neighborhood with restaurants, grocery stores, etc. No problems walking around at night. Both hotels are generally reasonably priced. I have stayed at both - the Millenium Gloucester is more the traditional newer business hotel while Bailey's is older and has a little more charm.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM

HI Mayfair is very central and only 1 minute walk from Green Park tube stop. Has a/c, restaurant/room service, etc. Many of the hotel's rooms are modern, "American-style" in size and set-up. Neighborhood is quite safe and upscale...downside is fewer inexpensive restaurants nearby.

One other factor which you did not mention is where the "business" part of your trip is being conducted (i.e. where in London you are meeting, or whatever). You might want to include proximity in your hotel decision.

Dave
[email protected]
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:52 AM

i've stayed at the HI Kens and it's nice. this trip i'm staying at the Millenium Gloucester. it's great location for the tube. and good, quick food options.

but you could use priceline if you get reiimbursed for travel costs. i have the Millenium Gloucester for $85/night.