Mini walking tour of Florence/memorable lunch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Castellina in Chianti May 16-20 for 4 nights and will have one day (about 5 hours)available to see Florence. I have seen the city several times but this will be the one and only chance for my friend to see the highlights. Can you help me set up a walking tour? We won't have time for the Ufizzi Gallery but I think she would enjoy seeing David. What is the phone number to call for reservations to the Accademia?

Should we drive from Castellina and park (where?)or consider taking a bus to the Santa Maria Novella train/bus station?

Are terrific ideas for lunch? I know there are delicious panini/foccacia bars everywhere but we will need to sit down to eat and rest our tired feet. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
ira

Hi R,

> will have one day (about 5 hours)available to see Florence..<

Take the bus to the SMN station.

Exit from the main entrance and go SE to Via Melarancio (Pzza Unita). Take that to the Capella de Medici. Go clockwise around the square. Look at the chapel. Continue E to Via Cavour.

Go left (NE) to Via Degli Alfani. Go Rt to Via Ricasoli and the Academia. See David and "The Prisoners".

Go SW (left as you exit) on Via Ricasoli to the Duomo. See the Duomo, the Bell Tower and the Baptistry.
You can lunch here.

Take the Via Calzaiuoli (SW corner of the Pzza) to Pzza della Signoria. See the square.
You can lunch here.

Go S to the Uffizi. Visit the museum.

Go S to the River. Turn right to the Ponte Vecchio. Cross the Bridge.

Go right at Borgo St. Jacopo.
If the timing is right, have lunch at
Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco,
43 Borgo San Jacapo

If you have time to walk, go W to the end of San Jacopo, go right and cross the S.Trinita bridge. Good view of the Ponte Vecchio.

Go North to Via della Scala, turn left to no. 16 and the Farmacia di Santa Maria Novella.

Walk back to the station via the SMN church.

Have a nice day.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.
You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Wow--You're great! Isn't the Ufizzi Gallery enormous? Is it worth going for just a short time? Are there "must sees" like the Mona Lisa and Winged Victory in the Louvre? I am so glad you gave the address of the Pharmacy--I couldn't find it during my last brief visit.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Ira--I forgot to ask in the last post--how to I select times for the museums? I do not know what time we would arrive at the SMN station--I couldn't figure out the SITA bus schedule. Do you think 11:15 for the Accademia and 1:30 for the Ufizzi would be a good guess? Being on foot all day, I presume we would want to leave the station no later than 4PM. I am so GRATEFUL for your help! Thanks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 12:55 PM
ira

Hi RJ,

>Isn't the Ufizzi Gallery enormous?<

Yes, but the museum part is all on one floor, and the most important paintings are all in one gallery.

>I couldn't figure out the SITA bus schedule.<

Go to http://www.sita-on-line.it/
Click "entra"
Click "Toscana"
Click "Orari"
Click the first "CHIANTI E VAL DI PESA"
Click "345"
Read Schedule

Unfortunatley, there is one bus from Castellina at 06:15 and one to Castellina at 13:35 and 17:50.

You will have to get to Panzano for a decent schedule.

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Ira--I don't know how to thank you for your help! Actually I found that schedule on my own before I wrote to you but I didn't scroll down the page and gave up after reading the first page. You are so right about driving to Panzano--that will give us so many choices. I presume our hotel in Castellina will tell us how to buy tickets and where to find the bus in Panzano. A very fun new adventure and definitely less stressful than driving (and undoubtedly much cheaper than paying for parking). I do hope our timing works out to try your lunch suggestion. Thank you so much.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
ira

You are welcome RJ.