florence day trip

Search

florence day trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
florence day trip

Is it feasible to do a day trip to Florence from Rome and see at least the highlights of that city?

Has anyone worked with COSMIC Tours of Italy?

Thank you in advance, Tania
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM
ira

Hi T,

Although I think that F is worth at least 2 days, Here is a suggestion:

A DAY IN FLORENCE:

Train to Florence SMN:
The Luggage Office is to your left as you leave the train.

From Piazza d' Stazione, walk up via Nazionale to via d'Ariento and the Mercato Centrale, wander through.

Take any street going NE to Via Degli Alfani and go right to the Accademia for The David.

Take via Ricasoli SE to the Duomo, the Baptistry and the Opera Museum (Originals of the bronzes on the doors)

From the Campanile, take via Calzaiuoli S (do some window shopping) to the Piazza d' Signoria. Look around, take a break.

Continue S to the Uffizi. Visit.

From the Uffizi, walk W along the Arno River to the Ponte Vecchio.

(You can walk up to the Pitti Palace and the Boboli Gardens if there is time. Great views of Florence from the top of the Gardens)

If you have time, walk E along the S bank of the river to Ponte alle grazie and cross over to visit Santa Croce.

If not, go W along the Arno from Ponte Vecchio to Ponte S. Trinita and go right. Go left on Via d'Spada to via d'Fossi and go right to Santa Maria Novella. Look around.

SMN is across the square from the train station.

Be sure to have lots of gelato (in a cup, not a cone), take some wine breaks and a light lunch.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com

Bus routes are at http://www.ataf.net/
Buy your ticket before you get on the bus. Stamp it in the yellow box on the bus.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 1016868 (dial around number), 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.

You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Have a nice visit.

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Incredible detail Ira. Thank you.
What is SMN?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM

SMN = Santa Maria Novella, a church which gives the train station it's name because of close proximity
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Yes, it is possible to see the highlights but you won't have much time to enjoy them. I did it a few years ago with some friends. We caught an early train from Rome and kept a pretty good pace before heading back the same evening. We definitely could have spent more time but we did see the major sites. However, my wife and I are planning on 2 nights in Florence on our upcoming trip in March and I still feel it may be rushed.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:09 AM
ira

Hi Jer,

>.. my wife and I are planning on 2 nights in Florence on our upcoming trip in March and I still feel it may be rushed.<

You are correct.

If you can, add a night.

If you get bored, take the SITA bus to Siena or the train to Bologna your last day.

Old Mar 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM

We took the Eurostar train up for an over night stay. You could easily do a day trip. We took a cab early in the morning to the train station, went to the kiosk and got our ticket and got on the train. We were in Florence by 8:30 a.m. It is an easy city to walk about in..