Florence in a day for first timers

Apr 26th, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Florence in a day for first timers

We'll arrive by train at 10, hoping to see the Uffizzi, science museum (closes at 1:00), Pitti palace, Ponte Vecchio, lunch, Bargello museum, Duomo and the museum around bck, Baptistery, and ending at the Accademia and back to the train to leave at 8. Is this even remotely possible? Should we get a taxi from the train station to the Uffizzi to give us more time? We have 4 young adults in our party who won't stay long in Art Museums. Thanks already.
Apr 26th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Actually, Florence is very small.

I would book tickets in advance for as many of the museums as possible.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the Uffizzi from the train station. While a taxi is an option, the pleasure is the walk through the streets.

I might be a little more selective in what I would see.

I would start with the Accademia (you can purchase tickets in advance for a specific time. don't have the phone number but a search should find it).

I picked the Accademia first because you will get the most bang for the shortest time. Also, it's a straight, line (more or less) to the Duomo and Baptistry.

Then on to the Uffizzi (I believe you can purchaetickets in advance) which is at Piazza dela Seignora (sp) and time for a snack in the Piazza.

From the Uffizzi I would cross the river over the Pont Vecchio and grab a bus going left up to Plaza Michaelangelo for some fantastic views of Florence.

You can walk down the front of the hill/mountain in about 15 minutes from the time you start walking down.

Turn left at the river and when you get back to the Vecchio bridge turn left a couple of blocks to the Pitti Palace. This is merely another museum if you are into museums.

I tried to put some sights into the visit and not just indoor stuff.

If I remember correctly, the Bargello is also in the Piazza dela Seignora area. You may be able to get that in as well.

Florence is very compact and easy to walk around. If you have tickets to the museums in advance, don't have to wait in line, you could do quite well in a day.
Apr 26th, 2006, 06:58 AM

I'm worried you are setting yourself up for a raging case of Stendahl syndrome. So many museums in such a short amount of time, it will all be a blur. If you are only going to spend a short amount of time in the art museums, are you going just to say you've done them and check them off your list of Florence "must sees?" If so, why run from museum to museum if that is not where your interest lie? If your real interest is in the Science Museum, take a cab directly there from the station and see it while you are fresh. Then walk over to the Duomo/Baptistry. Don't waste time or money going into the Duomo, there really isn't anything of interest inside. The real "Gates of Paradise" are now in the Museum of the Opera del Duomo. It's a small museum so you can see it quickly. Have lunch and then see the Uffizi, making sure you have a reservtion. Shop the nearby Ponte Vecchio, get some gelato and wander over to the Accademia for your late reservation time and then back on the train. I'd skip the Pitti and Bargello on this trip--not that they aren't great museums but four in one day is already overload.
Apr 26th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Grinsea has some good advice.

I only left in the two outstanding museum highlights (David and Uffizzi) and attempted to include some walking sights as well (Piazza Dela Seignora, Vecchio Bridge, Plaza Michaelangelo).

I thing your goals should be set in advance. It's been years since I've been to Florence. However, what I remember other than David and climbing the Duomo is the outside sights.

Without them you'll have few memories other than to be able to say you've been there.
Apr 26th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you for your ideas and help. This forum is amazing!!