Search

Milan, Turin, Genoa--how much time

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2022, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milan, Turin, Genoa--how much time

Hello,
I will be traveling from Lake Como toward Cinque Terre in early October. I am considering stops in Milan, Turin and Genoa. I am not interested in the fashion industry but feel like I should stop in Milan, (the duomo looks beautiful)? Turin looks very interesting, does anyone know about how long it takes to tour Museo Egizio, the Royal Palace, and Cathedral with the shroud? Not sure about must see for Genoa--advice appreciated.

Any suggestions on what I shouldn't miss in these areas? Just trying to figure out how much time to devote to the area.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 02:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
In 2018 We spent three days in Milan and three days in Turin. Both interesting cities. Get a pre-booked timed ticket for Milan's Duomo. Unbelievably beautiful (photo below). Check out Chapters Two - Four (Milan) and Chapters Fifteen - Seventeen (Turin) in my trip report link below (lots of photos). Instead of Genoa I would use my early October dates for the Piemonte hill towns. It will be White Truffle season, and the scenery is spectacular. Explore the hill towns. We like this area even better than Tuscany. Our lodging in La Morra (photo taken of La Morra below as well) was one of our favorites of any European trips. Alba would also make a terrific base. See Chapters Ten - Fourteen for Piemonte.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/italy-2018/

Duomo Milan

Photo of La Morra in Piemonte

Last edited by maitaitom; Jun 12th, 2022 at 02:53 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 05:05 AM

I am going in early Nov almost following in your footsteps. I will go directly from Milan airport to Como and spend 2 1/2 days there before I go to Milan and spend 5 nights there. Included is a day in Pavia/Lodi and another Cremona/Mantova. I head to Bergamo for a few days of family visits. 4 nights in Turin with a side trip to Aviglina/Pinerolo. I do not not believe that the Shroud is able to be visted. Only taken out every couple of years for special occasions I think.

Genoa for 3 nights and maybe squeeze in a side trip to one of the small towns aroun there. 5 nights in Bologna with days trips to Ravenna and another to Parma.

I prefer to stay in one place for a number of days and head out from there. I also rent apts, especially with a wasing machine as I only bring 1 carryon.

Hope your trip goes as well as mine usually do.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jan47ete
I am going in early Nov almost following in your footsteps. I will go directly from Milan airport to Como and spend 2 1/2 days there before I go to Milan and spend 5 nights there. Included is a day in Pavia/Lodi and another Cremona/Mantova. I head to Bergamo for a few days of family visits. 4 nights in Turin with a side trip to Aviglina/Pinerolo. I do not not believe that the Shroud is able to be visted. Only taken out every couple of years for special occasions I think.

Genoa for 3 nights and maybe squeeze in a side trip to one of the small towns aroun there. 5 nights in Bologna with days trips to Ravenna and another to Parma.

I prefer to stay in one place for a number of days and head out from there. I also rent apts, especially with a wasing machine as I only bring 1 carryon.

Hope your trip goes as well as mine usually do.
Thank you! We have narrowed some things down. We will probably be leaving Genoa off this trip. I was looking at Bergamo last night--looks awesome! I do the same--stay at apartments when at all possible and multiple nights.

I will look into your other suggestions--we are in Italy September 25- October 28 just trying to lay out our itinerary. So far we are flying into Rome on September 25--planning a day trip to Herculaneum and another one to Tivoli while we wait for our son to arrive. We have been to Rome multiple times but our son has not so he wants to see the "highlights". Leaving Rome October 1 for Venice, Venice to Como, Como to Milan, Milan to Turin and that is where we are in the planning stage.

Would like to fit a visit to Cinque Terre, Pisa, Florence and Tuscan countryside in after that so probably on the move every 2-3 days until we leave Florence at which time we would like to centrally locate in Tuscany for our remaining stay and do day trips. May end up extending into the first week or two of November but have not decided yet.

Thanks for your advice! Have a great trip.

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow!

Thank you! I will spend some time with your information it looks awesome.
Kind Regards,
Donna Baker